VERY SICK EASTERN BOX!!!!!(updated 8-1-12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
RE: VERY SICK EASTERN BOX!!!!!

WOW!!! Your before and after pics are wonderful!!! What a great job you've done!

krb1093

5 Year Member
RE: VERY SICK EASTERN BOX!!!!!

Thank you everyone. Your advice is great and working wonderfully. LOVE THIS SITE!

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
her before and afters are great ! Adult box turtles do not have to eat everyday so i wouldnt be too concerned if she doesnt eat in front of you ... great job :) i wish i saw turtles wandering around my driveway lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, she does look much better. Good job.

jojodesca said:
If you want to release her you will probably have to give her to a rescue or rehabilitate group. Too much human contact for re-release is not good for them. There are too many risks to take back to the wild. If you don't want to keep her I recommend putting her up for adoption.

As for the food as long as you keep it available she will eat..most of the time they are shy eaters and wont eat if you watch. But they can go days without eating andshe has been sick...if she is roaming around then she isgetting her strength back from the soaks..also she may have consumed the carrot soak.

Wild box turtles will spend their life getting back to the area they came from. They will travel endlessly until they reach their home, or most likely die trying. That's why they should be released where they were found. The instinct to be home, really never leaves them. They should be put back into the wild. They should never be taken, except for cases like this one, where one is sick or injured, but then release back to the wild.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
pryncesssc said:
her before and afters are great ! Adult box turtles do not have to eat everyday so i wouldnt be too concerned if she doesnt eat in front of you ... great job :) i wish i saw turtles wandering around my driveway lol

me too...some ppl have all the luck!!!!!

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I use organix turkey and vegetable wet dog food I find that it works even on turtles who are sick and of recent capture. Olivia ate it the first day I had her she was wild before she ended up with me. I've also mixed blueberry, blackberry and raspberry mush in with them (I freeze the berries then asmash them while they are still frozen an let them warm to room emp before I feed it (also works for giving things like panacure and baytril). Though unless you know haw to use these meds I would not recommend self dosing get them from a vet. I know the dosage rates and the proper concentrations and treatment period. I would suggest maybe having the turtle checked for parasites and if needed treat the turtle.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would really think about the benefits of taking the wild turtle to the vet for worming....this is a wild animal that you are going to release back into the wild....I believe once you have a stable turtle you should quickly get it back into the wild....

There is huge stress that is involved with vet visits if the need is not imperative....again, just my two cents worth....:D

I would really think about the benefits

versus the negative affects of taking the wild turtle to the vet for worming....

apologies here, I was typing to fast and TOTALLY forgot the rest of the sentence I was trying to share....lol....:rolleyes:

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Though though the benifits for the turtle wuld be improved recovery time due to lessened parasite load.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Though though the benifits for the turtle wuld be improved recovery time due to lessened parasite load.

Oh, don't mistake what my meaning is here....if the turtle was suffering from apparent parasite overload then by all means worming would be grand....however, the turtle does not appear to be suffering from overload of parasites....the turtle is recovering with the treatment that is being offered....and if a turtle was dying because of a parasite gut overload then the treatment offered here would not be showing this rapid of recovery....in my humble opinion anyways....:D

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
ascott said:

Oh, don't mistake what my meaning is here....if the turtle was suffering from apparent parasite overload then by all means worming would be grand....however, the turtle does not appear to be suffering from overload of parasites....the turtle is recovering with the treatment that is being offered....and if a turtle was dying because of a parasite gut overload then the treatment offered here would not be showing this rapid of recovery....in my humble opinion anyways....:D

I understand your point I wasn't sure if you understud mine which was why I was trying to clearify. Though I generally check for parasites as part of my quarenteen process which is multi step some think it is a little extream. I keep them for about a week in a cage with paper towels on the bottom, a water dish uvb and heat lamp and a shelter. Then I check the feces for worms and treat for worms and parasitic bacteria. After which I then give them digesting bacteria suppliments. After the paper towel stage I put regular wood humus and some cleaned leaves in addition to the other equipment. After which i wait about 2 months usually before introducing them to the colony. I only keep turtle from the same meta population together generally speaking. Though most of the turtles I deal with are returned to where they came from and don't go through all of that. I only keep ones who can't be returned.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I only keep ones who can't be returned.

And this would be a perfect time to do exactly what you have outlined here....I totally understand this.

I believe though if a person is offering a helping hand to a wild tort...that the goal would be to have as little human interference as possible and to me that would also include invasive meds that are essentially a toxin being administered that is designed to kill with poison in the animal...now, if that animal is going to be kept and not returned to the wild then I can see it making a bit more sense...however, if you are going to try to offer a helping hand and then release the animal I would not want to send that wild animal back into the wild with a one time treatment....you see what I mean...and if you are going to keep the animal for an extended period of time then the viability of returning it to the wild diminishes greatly.....again, I completely understand what you are saying I believe that the crossroad we have met at leads in different ways of thinking is all.....:D:D:D:D:D

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I think this is fantastic, he looks like a perfect box turtle. Maybe you should put up a sticky explaining what exactly you did. I know everyone give the best advice, but it's nice to know what actually worked directly from the source.

I know in life I when I get advice it's : 1) My vet recommended 2) I read this. 3) A friend did this 4) I saw this on TV. I prefer to get treatment advice directly from the source.

It would be great if you have a post with the treatment with a before and after picture. I know it's all covered throughout the thread, but if it's all in one place it would make it so much easier to reference that post when this comes up in the future. Let's face it when you are concerned for an animal, time is of the essence and reading through several posts can be difficult.

krb1093

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for your concerns! I've seen several different opinions on this thread and respect everyone of them. So I'm kinda stuck lol. I would love to keep her, but not sure if that would be the best or not, I have plenty of room (on 60 acres) to make an enclosure if need be. I also understand that putting her back may be best and that was my plan until I read some of these posts. She's a wonderful turtle and will actually walk to me when I let her roam in the yard. Are box turtles that smart? The only time I touch her is to soak her every morning and then take her outside for about an hour to roam and graze. After all this I put her in a large bin with paper towel and food. She's in the closet with the temp set at 85 and humidity at 80. BEFORE everyone gets mad let me explain why shes in a large bin. I read that if they're sick they need to be in a hospital tank(bin/fish tank). with just paper towel and food that way nothing gets contaminated.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
krb1093 - Remember that there's no way to please everyone. In the end you are the one who decides. Do what YOU think is best for the boxie currently in your care.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Maybe she 'adopted' you...I don't think members here would get mad if you kept her.....i know that if they come from the wild they need to be returned..but then again you don't know if for any reason she could have been a pet and was released and you found her....if she is following you it is very possible she might have been kept as a pet....do what you feel is right..but I am rooting for you too keep her :p......

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
krb1093 said:
Thank you everyone for your concerns! I've seen several different opinions on this thread and respect everyone of them. So I'm kinda stuck lol. I would love to keep her, but not sure if that would be the best or not, I have plenty of room (on 60 acres) to make an enclosure if need be. I also understand that putting her back may be best and that was my plan until I read some of these posts. She's a wonderful turtle and will actually walk to me when I let her roam in the yard. Are box turtles that smart? The only time I touch her is to soak her every morning and then take her outside for about an hour to roam and graze. After all this I put her in a large bin with paper towel and food. She's in the closet with the temp set at 85 and humidity at 80. BEFORE everyone gets mad let me explain why shes in a large bin. I read that if they're sick they need to be in a hospital tank(bin/fish tank). with just paper towel and food that way nothing gets contaminated.

I think the most important issue is; you found her at your house in your driveway. I'd say keep her since she's from the area. Box turtles tend to escape from their enclosures, so if she does escape and she runs away she's in her home range anyway. If she escapes and sticks around, she wants to be your friend for a while longer.

Just my opinion.

krb1093

5 Year Member
She's 100% better :). I called our local nature center and she's gonna have a happy new home there in about a week!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Oh good!...glad to hear she will be happy at the nature center...you will miss her tho....:p

Status
Not open for further replies.