Very very sick Sulcata. Advice?

Kadels

5 Year Member
In your last photo you posted, I think I saw a small cut, not unlike the one on the dead foot, on her other hind leg. Did you notice this? Was this addressed? If there is a cut, I would hate for it to be missed because of the focus on the amputation.

Yes - she had several little spots. They aren't cuts exactly, they're more like abrasions. But yes they are exposed areas and hopefully will heal well with the antibiotics.

Speaking of antibiotics, they did take a culture when they took her leg. They said it is starting to grow some bacteria. They will soon find out what it is and make sure the antibiotics are effective.

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
Yes - she had several little spots. They aren't cuts exactly, they're more like abrasions. But yes they are exposed areas and hopefully will heal well with the antibiotics.

Speaking of antibiotics, they did take a culture when they took her leg. They said it is starting to grow some bacteria. They will soon find out what it is and make sure the antibiotics are effective.
Glad to hear. Once they figure it out and administer the proper meds, that may destroy any possibility of of this happening to her other legs with the abrasions as well. :)

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Central Arkansas, Zone 3
I am so glad to hear she is doing well! I was just telling my family about this yesterday! Best of Wishes and Blessings to you both.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thank you for all the pictures. It's exciting to see Chuck Norris recover. When she starts using her prosthesis, I hope you'll post a video.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Chuck Norris? A fitting name for three legged tortoise

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Your a good tort parent & Ms. Norris is getting good medical care.
You took good pics. Glad to see she is doing well.

Kadels

5 Year Member
I didn't take the pics - they are courtesy of the vet staff at Texas A&M. I have to say they really are incredible - they call me twice a day to update me and let me know what she's done that day. Yes, I'm paying for it - but still, they don't have to call and send pics all the time.

They sent me a video of Chuck Norris outside. She's getting around great on just 3 legs. And trying to eat EVERYTHING in sight. I'm trying to upload it, but it says the file format isn't supported.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
of course she's doing greatnot to sound mean but animals either adapt. likeshe has or they die glad to see she's adapting

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
You are an amazing tort parent. Thank you for all the updates. I look forward to seeing Chuck Norris' progress.

Kadels

5 Year Member
Chuck Norris is finally home. It hurts my heart to see only 3 legs, but I am joyful she is alive.

The guys making the prosthetic thought a neoprene sleeve would stay on, but it seems he is having trouble with that. So now he's thinking some sort of wheel. I prefer a leg to a wheel - with a wheel she will lose the use of the shoulder and portion of the leg we saved.

Below are some photos of her wound and sutures. You can see a little spot where she is walking on her stump - the vet suggested we cover it with a bandaid when we go outside, so we'll try that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82

Jim in Merced CA

5 Year Member
This is a great thread - so enjoyed reading your experience with Chuck Norris and the fine staff at A&M.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Chuck Norris is finally home. It hurts my heart to see only 3 legs, but I am joyful she is alive.

The guys making the prosthetic thought a neoprene sleeve would stay on, but it seems he is having trouble with that. So now he's thinking some sort of wheel. I prefer a leg to a wheel - with a wheel she will lose the use of the shoulder and portion of the leg we saved.

Below are some photos of her wound and sutures. You can see a little spot where she is walking on her stump - the vet suggested we cover it with a bandaid when we go outside, so we'll try that.
I'm so glad she is home. I'm sure this ordeal was much harder on you than her. It won't take her long to forget she ever had 4 legs.

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
@Kadels. It is looking great. I agree with you on the wheel. I understand the difficulty in the neoprene sleeve too. But ultimately it is better for her. Keep pushing for him to find something that will work. The neoprene sock will have to come off at night, and be put back on each morning so her skin can breathe. A wheel would be easy, but it sounds like you are in for the long haul here, so go for it!

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Wow awesome thread! You and Chuck Norris have come a long way!! You are a great tort mom so don't ever think otherwise. Chuck Norris is alive because of you and may very well outlive you now! Lol keep us updated!