Vet Call, What should I allow and not allow?

cheerios586

Location (City and/or State)
Graham, Washington
Hi everyone,
My Yoshi is doing worse now and I have an appointment to take her into the vet on Saturday. I've heard some horror stories about vet intervention and I need some opinions on what I should allow him to do to her and not? If he wants to do blood work or x-rays or ultrasound should I allow this? What about antibiotics if needed? Need all the help I can get so that I'm as informed as possible, she really has me worried.
Thanks in advance!
Cheryl

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The only thing I know for sure that I've seen here is NO vitamin shots.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
What is your baby being seen for?
She has stopped eating and pooping, hides all the time. I've been having to pull her out of her cave to give her a bath, so after her soak I place her under her basking light and she runs back to her cave where she remains until the next day.

Destben

Kansas
She has stopped eating and pooping, hides all the time. I've been having to pull her out of her cave to give her a bath, so after her soak I place her under her basking light and she runs back to her cave where she remains until the next day.
Try feeding cucumber and aloe. they can act as laxatives. it sounds like your baby is backed up a little. Long soaks will help loosen too like 30 mins or more worth.

Destben

Kansas
these s
Try feeding cucumber and aloe. they can act as laxatives. it sounds like your baby is backed up a little. Long soaks will help loosen too like 30 mins or more worth.
these items should only be fed every once in a while for that exact reason tho.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Do I force feed her then, she shows absolutely NO interest in food. I've tried aloe on her butternut squash and she turns her nose up to it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Do I force feed her then, she shows absolutely NO interest in food. I've tried aloe on her butternut squash and she turns her nose up to it.
Have you tried Mazuri? It's like tortoise crack, most can't resist it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I hope your baby is ok, and it's just a little constipation!

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
How old? Mine only poop about every 3 days normally. It takes about 4 days for them to digest food, so was there anything different being fed?
Nothing different, I give her a variety of food, her favorite is the butternut squash and red bell peppers, but she only gets a few bites offered to her. She's been eating spring mix, collard greens, some kale, turnip greens, some dandalion mix for tortoises, and the mazuri the week prior.
Yoshi is approximately 5-7 as I purchased her from PetSmart a little over 1 year ago.

Destben

Kansas
Nothing different, I give her a variety of food, her favorite is the butternut squash and red bell peppers, but she only gets a few bites offered to her. She's been eating spring mix, collard greens, some kale, turnip greens, some dandalion mix for tortoises, and the mazuri the week prior.
Yoshi is approximately 5-7 as I purchased her from PetSmart a little over 1 year ago.
Butternut squash shouldn't be fed due to sugars. its safe in small amounts but isn't advised for this species. Bell peppers should be avoided all together, they have enough sugar to harm even fruit eating species. This could be the problem. if they have to much sugar in their diet it can harm the good bacteria in their digestive tract. try switching the foods and concentrate on broad leaf weeds and veggies.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Butternut squash shouldn't be fed due to sugars. its safe in small amounts but isn't advised for this species. Bell peppers should be avoided all together, they have enough sugar to harm even fruit eating species. This could be the problem. if they have to much sugar in their diet it can harm the good bacteria in their digestive tract. try switching the foods and concentrate on broad leaf weeds and veggies.
OMG, I didn't know. She had an entire bowl of it at the pet store and they said she loved it, so have been giving her a bite or two of each every day for a year. I feel so bad. I probably caused her illness.