Vet Call, What should I allow and not allow?

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
The Mazuri is the LS. She doesn't really eat it, but I keep offering it to her. After her bath this morning I placed her infront of her food, she took 2 bites of the kale and went back to her cave. But she did taste her food. She did seem to look for the bell pepper or butternut squash. Do you think she's just being picky and spoiled? May be bored and lack stimulation?
At this point I would go to the vet appointment. If nothing definitive is discovered you can then see how she reacts over the weekend with outdoor time. Since we are so close, if your interested, we can meet somewhere over the weekend and I can give you a variety of weeds/plants to try offering as well as some Mazuri original (they seem to like the original more than the LS)

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
At this point I would go to the vet appointment. If nothing definitive is discovered you can then see how she reacts over the weekend with outdoor time. Since we are so close, if your interested, we can meet somewhere over the weekend and I can give you a variety of weeds/plants to try offering as well as some Mazuri original (they seem to like the original more than the LS)
Oh how kind!!! Thank you so much, that would be wonderful.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know the type of tube, I'm not understanding the 5.0, etc. But it's mounted 27-1/2" above substrate.
They make many types of UV tubes. Some are stronger than others, and there are many option available for many applications.

The "regular" types nee to be mounted no more than 10-12" above the tortoise for there to be any UV benefit. It says this on the packaging. The strongest, new types of bulb that make a lot of UV still need to be mounted no more than about 20-22 inches above the tortoise. At 27+ inches, your tortoise is receiving no UVB from your bulb.

You need to figure out what type of bulb you've got and mount it at the correct height. Best to check it with a UV meter since bulb strength can vary a lot.

This might be your problem. A year with no UV.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
They make many types of UV tubes. Some are stronger than others, and there are many option available for many applications.

The "regular" types nee to be mounted no more than 10-12" above the tortoise for there to be any UV benefit. It says this on the packaging. The strongest, new types of bulb that make a lot of UV still need to be mounted no more than about 20-22 inches above the tortoise. At 27+ inches, your tortoise is receiving no UVB from your bulb.

You need to figure out what type of bulb you've got and mount it at the correct height. Best to check it with a UV meter since bulb strength can vary a lot.

This might be your problem. A year with no UV.
OMG, I thought it looked high up, but it's very bright. I will get one of those meters to measure UV What type of meter do you recommend? What could happen with a deficiency in UV rays?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OMG, I thought it looked high up, but it's very bright. I will get one of those meters to measure UV What type of meter do you recommend? What could happen with a deficiency in UV rays?
This is the meter to get: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Without UVB, their bodies cannot convert vitamin D2 into D3. Without D3, they cannot use or assimilate the calcium in the diet. Their bodies must have a certain amount of calcium in the bloodstream for survival, so in times of calcium deficiency, the body robs the bones of calcium to continue living for another day. Eventually they get sick and die.

If it is warm enough, I'd get him into his outdoor enclosure for some sunshine ASAP. As long as he has shade to retreat to, you can leave him outside all day, weather permitting.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
I do give him about 1/16th of a teaspoon of Calcium w/D3 once a week. It's currently 59 degrees here, but it's supposed to get to 69 this evening so will take her out then and let her bask. The next week tho it's supposed to be in the upper 70's or 80's so I'll make sure she gets out for some sun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do give him about 1/16th of a teaspoon of Calcium w/D3 once a week. It's currently 59 degrees here, but it's supposed to get to 69 this evening so will take her out then and let her bask. The next week tho it's supposed to be in the upper 70's or 80's so I'll make sure she gets out for some sun.
Early morning and late evening UV levels are very low. Not much point in taking him out in colder temps like that.

To date, I've seen no study to prove that tortoises can use dietary D3. Don't know that dietary supplements will work.

You need to turn the bulb off and see what the labeling says. Then at least we can give you an educated guess on how high to mount it.

I'd recommend a 46" Arcadia 12% HO bulb in a reflector hood. This can be mounted at 20-24" and still give your tortoise good UV.
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/46-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

Or this one:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/48...arcadia-12-and-6-5k-day-light-bulbs-included/

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Early morning and late evening UV levels are very low. Not much point in taking him out in colder temps like that.

To date, I've seen no study to prove that tortoises can use dietary D3. Don't know that dietary supplements will work.

You need to turn the bulb off and see what the labeling says. Then at least we can give you an educated guess on how high to mount it.

I'd recommend a 46" Arcadia 12% HO bulb in a reflector hood. This can be mounted at 20-24" and still give your tortoise good UV.
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/46-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

Or this one:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/48...arcadia-12-and-6-5k-day-light-bulbs-included/

It is a 48" Reptisun 10.0 UVB,

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
So until I get the proper light bulb I need to remount no more than 22" above substrate, is this correct? I'm ordering meter now from the site you suggested
Lower it down to about 12" from the substrate. You can use chain, quick links and screw eyes.
Ok thank you, I will do that right away. In your opinion, do you think she still needs to be seen by a vet?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So until I get the proper light bulb I need to remount no more than 22" above substrate, is this correct? I'm ordering meter now from the site you suggested

Ok thank you, I will do that right away. In your opinion, do you think she still needs to be seen by a vet?
That is a tough question. An X-ray and fecal exam are never a bad idea to rule out several possible issues. But so many times, vets do more harm than good and charge a lot of money to do it. Most of them don't know tortoises or have any understanding of tortoise husbandry.

Just don't let the vet do "vitamin" injections or calcium injections. And no Baytril injections under any circumstances, or any other antibiotics unless there is a good reason for it.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
That is a tough question. An X-ray and fecal exam are never a bad idea to rule out several possible issues. But so many times, vets do more harm than good and charge a lot of money to do it. Most of them don't know tortoises or have any understanding of tortoise husbandry.

Just don't let the vet do "vitamin" injections or calcium injections. And no Baytril injections under any circumstances, or any other antibiotics unless there is a good reason for it.
OK, thank you so much for all your time and help, I have ordered everything you told me to get, if you have more time could we go over her food? I've been trying to navigate this forum and can't seem to find anything I'm looking for, I'm a forum newbie. Or if you don't want to discuss, I'll take any help you can provide me in sending me in the right direction.
Again!!! Thank you so much!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OK, thank you so much for all your time and help, I have ordered everything you told me to get, if you have more time could we go over her food? I've been trying to navigate this forum and can't seem to find anything I'm looking for, I'm a forum newbie. Or if you don't want to discuss, I'll take any help you can provide me in sending me in the right direction.
Here is a list of good foods:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Bambam1989

East Texas
Variety is the best thing. Shortly after joining this forum, I read on here that to give the best dietary care for your torts you need to start dabbling in botany and gardening.
I have been trying to do just that. If your willing/ interested I can supply you with a variety of food and even help you setup a "tort food garden". I'm not interested in money, just want to help you and your tort. I'm a stay at home mom/ artist so my schedule is very flexible.
I'm actually pretty excited to get the opportunity to talk torts in person with someone other than my husband[emoji28]

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Variety is the best thing. Shortly after joining this forum, I read on here that to give the best dietary care for your torts you need to start dabbling in botany and gardening.
I have been trying to do just that. If your willing/ interested I can supply you with a variety of food and even help you setup a "tort food garden". I'm not interested in money, just want to help you and your tort. I'm a stay at home mom/ artist so my schedule is very flexible.
I'm actually pretty excited to get the opportunity to talk torts in person with someone other than my husband[emoji28]
That would be great!! If you would like to meet me at my house on Sunday and we can go over things? If so, what would I need to get for the plants, etc..?

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Here is a list of good foods:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food
Thank you so much for all your help!!! I've printed out the list for reference. :)

Reactions: Tom

Bambam1989

East Texas
That would be great!! If you would like to meet me at my house on Sunday and we can go over things? If so, what would I need to get for the plants, etc..?
Sunday should be fine. We can discuss time in the PM as well as ill get your address. I'll bring you a few live plants as well as some bags for feeding.