Vet Call, What should I allow and not allow?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
OMG, I didn't know. She had an entire bowl of it at the pet store and they said she loved it, so have been giving her a bite or two of each every day for a year. I feel so bad. I probably caused her illness.

Big box petstores are notorious for feeding their animals the wrong diet abd spreading misinformation. 3 days is not that long for a tort. Is her basking lamp working?

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Big box petstores are notorious for feeding their animals the wrong diet abd spreading misinformation. 3 days is not that long for a tort. Is her basking lamp working?
Yes, her basking lamp is working, she used to go under her basking lamp several days ago, but now all she wants to do is hide in her cave.

JaVan

British columbia Canada
Here's something I learnt about some vets and doctors even. Don't say she will be fine, it's probably not that bad, she seams to be getting better, mainly because I said this once to my doctor once and they will just think yeah it will be fine less work for me! XD

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
UPDATE: Took Yoshi to the Dr's Saturday afternoon. He said pretty much everything that you all told me on here, makes me trust him a bit. He did an external exam (stressed her out and she peed and pooped all over), so he doesn't think that she's clogged and her pooh he said looked good, although he is running a fecal sample anyway to be sure. He said she looked good and to watch her for the next couple of weeks making the changes you all suggested with her indoor pen. He also said to get her outside for the natural UV rays.

BAMBAM was so nice to provide me with some plants and food for her, she's awesome. She is still not eating, tho, but is more active when I put her in her outdoor pen, so that's good. Will continue to watch and see. The Dr. said if she still isn't eating and doing any better in a couple of weeks, he recommends doing some blood work and x-rays.

Thank you all so much for all the advice.

Attachments

• 20180618_055836.jpg
    20180618_055836.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 20180618_055757.jpg
    20180618_055757.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20180618_070357.jpg
    20180618_070357.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 21

JENNY04

Try feeding cucumber and aloe. they can act as laxatives. it sounds like your baby is backed up a little. Long soaks will help loosen too like 30 mins or more worth.
And try to get her to stay warm to help digest . Maybe take out her hide but still can have a plant to go under but will still allow warm rays to keep her warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
UPDATE: Took Yoshi to the Dr's Saturday afternoon. He said pretty much everything that you all told me on here, makes me trust him a bit. He did an external exam (stressed her out and she peed and pooped all over), so he doesn't think that she's clogged and her pooh he said looked good, although he is running a fecal sample anyway to be sure. He said she looked good and to watch her for the next couple of weeks making the changes you all suggested with her indoor pen. He also said to get her outside for the natural UV rays.

BAMBAM was so nice to provide me with some plants and food for her, she's awesome. She is still not eating, tho, but is more active when I put her in her outdoor pen, so that's good. Will continue to watch and see. The Dr. said if she still isn't eating and doing any better in a couple of weeks, he recommends doing some blood work and x-rays.

Thank you all so much for all the advice.
Sounds like you found a good vet!

JENNY04

Butternut squash shouldn't be fed due to sugars. its safe in small amounts but isn't advised for this species. Bell peppers should be avoided all together, they have enough sugar to harm even fruit eating species. This could be the problem. if they have to much sugar in their diet it can harm the good bacteria in their digestive tract. try switching the foods and concentrate on broad leaf weeds and veggies.
It's not going to hurt once in a while

Cachorra

5 Year Member
Palm Beach County
Thank you! So antibiotic shots are ok?
I have given antibiotic shots to my red foot tort Paco to treat an infection and he got better fast. The vet had to run blood and stool tests before prescribing the antibiotics. Good luck with your Yoshi. Hope the vet is a good compassionate one.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
I have given antibiotic shots to my red foot tort Paco to treat an infection and he got better fast. The vet had to run blood and stool tests before prescribing the antibiotics. Good luck with your Yoshi. Hope the vet is a good compassionate one.
I think Yoshi has a good Dr., he seems knowledgeable and explains everything he's doing. He didn't want to do blood work or x-rays right away, didn't want to put her through the stress, so said to give her a couple of weeks to start feeling better and as long as she was drinking and urinating it would be o.k. and if she didn't start eating then he would do it.