Vet for Leopard torties in Medford, OR

hello_you1

Location (City and/or State)
OR
Does anyone know where I can find a good vet in Medford area? I did search this forum and the last one is from 2008 that vet doesn't even exist anymore.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you don't have a sick tort don't bother with a vet visit. They usually do more harm then good.
If you are having any concerns, ask on this forum first. We have many that have just about seen it all and can either help or let you know if a vet is the only choice.

hello_you1

OR
If you don't have a sick tort don't bother with a vet visit. They usually do more harm then good.
If you are having any concerns, ask on this forum first. We have many that have just about seen it all and can either help or let you know if a vet is the only choice.
This morning he was squeaking/whistling a bit, dunno if it’s stress whistling or past 2-3 days he’s been moving his head and arms to breathe every once in a while, could that be respiratory infection? I got him from a local reptile pet store a couple weeks ago, and I believe my leopard tortoise is about a month old.
Picture is my old setup when I got my leopard. My new setup is similar in this picture except I have a Zoo Med PowerSun UV Lamp and a ceramic heater in his cave (of course not that plastic container anymore.) I wish I can have a more updated picture but I'm not home at this moment.

Attachments

• 20220918_154148.jpg
    20220918_154148.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My sister lives in Corvallis and she has taken her tortoises to Dr. Vickstrom in the past. (not sure of the spelling, and don't know the city she practices in.) My sister was satisfied with her level of tortoise expertise, but she said she's pretty expensive.

hello_you1

OR
My sister lives in Corvallis and she has taken her tortoises to Dr. Vickstrom in the past. (not sure of the spelling, and don't know the city she practices in.) My sister was satisfied with her level of tortoise expertise, but she said she's pretty expensive.
Thanks for the reply. Corvallis is still about 3 hours drive from Medford. Right now I'm worried my leopard tortoise might have respiratory Infections. Looking for any vet that is nearby Medford area as my last resort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to put him in a closed chamber enclosure with 95-100F basking spot with a flood bulb. 80F every place else and at night and 80%humidity. If he gets cold he will get sick. For now get temps right at his level and get the enclosure closed. A 2x4 foot enclosure is best for a baby as it gives room to exercise and to get the correct temp areas.
Also do not use plastic bins/totes with low sides.
While you are hearing the noise get the over all temp upto 85 until he seems normal.
Most times things like this can be fixed with correct temps and a little bump in the over all temp.

Last edited:

hello_you1

OR
You need to put him in a closed chamber enclosure with 95-100F basking spot with a flood bulb. 80F every place else and at night and 80%humidity. If he gets cold he will get sick. For now get temps right at his level and get the enclosure closed. A 2x4 foot enclosure is best as it gives room to exercise and to get the ata of temp right.
Also do not use plastic bins/totes with low sides.
While you are hearing the noise get the over all temp upto 85 until he seems normal.
Most times things like this can be fixed with correct temps and a little bump in the over all temp.
Thank you for your quick response. I will do that as soon as I get home. I won't be home until Thursday night, right now my daughter is taking care of my leopard tortoise I'm just worried it will get worse by the time I will be home since she can't do much about it. What do you recommend for a closed chamber enclosure? Buy one or build one?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The largest tote boxes with high sides can work for closed chamber. There are also pop up green houses cheap that work good. I would build one as it would be cheaper then buying an actual closed chamber that will only be goin for about 3 years or so.
Even a larger pop up greenhouse will work longer term and you can just block off a portion until he grows into needing the bigger space.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Shoot me a message and I'll give you my phone number for text/calls. I will happily offer you my assistance.

Regarding your vet question, Dr. Winters with Phoenix Animal hospital has a pet tortoise and could be a resource for fixing a major wound or injury but I would not go there in this case.
I don't check TFO as often as I check my Instagram. So if you want to get ahold of me quicker, shoot me a message on IG at Crawling Critters Zoo and I'll help you out.

hello_you1

OR
Shoot me a message and I'll give you my phone number for text/calls. I will happily offer you my assistance.

Regarding your vet question, Dr. Winters with Phoenix Animal hospital has a pet tortoise and could be a resource for fixing a major wound or injury but I would not go there in this case.
I don't check TFO as often as I check my Instagram. So if you want to get ahold of me quicker, shoot me a message on IG at Crawling Critters Zoo and I'll help you out.
I sent you a message on Instagram.