Vet near Pdx Oregon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbirt27

5 Year Member
Took my little guy to get a first check-up at one of the vets listed in the vets section but while he knew basic reptile info he didn't seem knowledgable about RF's specifically.

First he gave me a pamphlet on a dessert tort and told me they are all the same. Then he gave me advice that contradicted a lot of what I've read and/or learned here including the need for humidity. After less than 1 minute with the tort he sexed my 4" tort which I thought wasn't possible at this age. Then he scared the crap out of me by saying the neck movement while breathing meant my RF was sick. I have since (after completing a run of antibiotics) found info that says this is normal.

So I am now turning to you all, whom I have come to trust,

1- Does this all seem wrong or am I over reacting?

2- Is the neck moving thing fairly normal?

3- Does anyone know of a vet that is experienced with RF's in or around the Portland, Oregon area?

Just for fun. This is Touché:

image-2216232669.png

image-2678600407.png

image-2551698608.png

image-1061910481.png

mightymizz

5 Year Member
I interested in what people think of your questions also. I will be tagging along.

It appears to me you have a very nice redfoot!

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
Paws and claws are useless unless you beak trimming. I'll try to find the name and number of the right vet for you...

kbirt27

5 Year Member
tyrs4u said:
Paws and claws are useless unless you beak trimming. I'll try to find the name and number of the right vet for you...

Thanks for looking into some vet references. I am anxious to be sure I am getting his/her care right.

I do have a calcium bone (cottle bone? Cuttle bone? Brain fart!!) in his enclosure but I've never seen him use it.

mightymizz said:
I interested in what people think of your questions also. I will be tagging along.

It appears to me you have a very nice redfoot!

Thank you. I think he's very nice too and he seems healthy but I don't know much yet and want to be sure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That vet was way out of line. A redfoot is the same as a desert tortoise? Pah-leeze! Their care couldn't be more different.

Very young tortoise often move their necks and front legs in rhythm with their breathing. Its sort of like a bellows.

Humidity is very important in your young redfoot's life, and he's also too young to just look at and tell you what sex he is.

I'm so glad you've now received the name of a different vet. Too bad you had to put the poor tortoise through a regimen of un-needed antibiotics.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
kbirt27 said:
Thanks so much! I will give him a call. This is a big help.

You're very welcomed. All my kids are well and strong, so they must be doing something right when. Bring them in rescues and such. I do hope you kiddo gets well... :)... Any help just ask... Im on the SE side...

kbirt27

5 Year Member
tyrs4u said:
You're very welcomed. All my kids are well and strong, so they must be doing something right when. Bring them in rescues and such. I do hope you kiddo gets well... :)... Any help just ask... Im on the SE side...

Good to know! I'm in NE - not too far away. I am fairly sure he/she is good & healthy. Eats well, is active & eyes/nose look clear. I just want a baseline check to be sure I am starting out caring for him/her right.

Gonna be a great day to get the lil ones out for some real sun! Have a great weekend & happy fathers day! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.