Vet visits

Status
Not open for further replies.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
Can you take you torts to a normal vet or do you have to take them to a "tortoise" vet? Will petstores check them out?
-thanks

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
Exotic Vet's or Vet's that can handle more than just mammals. You should call around. :) best of luck

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
I looked on the vet list and every vet is like 4hrs from my house. I just would like someone to give them checkup. They are all healthy torts but I would just like to get them checked sometime soon. Is there anyone at like petstores who knows enough about torts to give them a quick lookover? It's nothing urgent so I don't really want to go that far away for nothing
-thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No...petstores are in business to sell things and make a profit. Once in a great while you may find a clerk who has some reptile knowledge, but usually they don't.

Just call the local vets near you and ask them if they know about tortoises.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
The animal clinic I work at has 1 exotics vet (along with 9 cat/dog vets). An appointment costs $45. That doesn't include bloodwork, x-rays, ultrasound, medication, check for parasites, etc.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If it is not broken why fix it? If your torts are good then why do you feel the need for a vet visit?

Stress is a leading cause of problems in a tort (as well as a variety of other critters) and so if they good, why? Just curious :)

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
oh if i have a emergency the future i need to know if i could use the vets nearby and also for my yearly check up for parasites and sicknesses i don't want to drive 3hrs for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.