Vet's Best Flea+Tick Yard+Kennel Spray

Tortski

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I know you guys are probably going to say no, but I wanted to be sure. Can my tortoise eat food that has been sprayed with this then rinsed off? It says it is a plant based formula that is safe for dogs and cats.

The active ingredients
Peppermint Oil 0.60%
Eugenol 1.40%
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate 3.45%
Water, Sodium Benzoate, Citric Acid 94%

I know that peppermint is bad for torts, but I don't know about the rest, if it will stay after rinsing, or if there is enough to do anything bad.

I wish I didn't have to ask this, but we are having a battle with ticks, and this will have to be used until the stray cats and the ticks are gone for sure (or unless we move). The only plant that I'm pretty sure won't be sprayed is the Olive tree, so pretty much all of the food I'm trying to get him on with be unable to be eaten.

Tortski

Arizona
You are right. No.
Okay, thank you.

Do you know how long I should wait before I can give him more? I doubt I will ever be able to give him yard food again, but maybe in the monsoon season when my mom wouldn't treat the yard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay, thank you.

Do you know how long I should wait before I can give him more? I doubt I will ever be able to give him yard food again, but maybe in the monsoon season when my mom wouldn't treat the yard.
Opinions will vary, and I don't have scientific proof, but I wouldn't feed anything grown anywhere near the sprayed area for at least two years AFTER the spraying has stopped. Personally I wouldn't spray those chemicals in my yard. I don't want that crap around me, my wife and child, or any of my animals. I'd rather deal with the ticks.

Get some guinea fowl. You'll never see another tick. They search for them all day long and eat them like candy.

Tortski

Arizona
Opinions will vary, and I don't have scientific proof, but I wouldn't feed anything grown anywhere near the sprayed area for at least two years AFTER the spraying has stopped. Personally I wouldn't spray those chemicals in my yard. I don't want that crap around me, my wife and child, or any of my animals. I'd rather deal with the ticks.

Get some guinea fowl. You'll never see another tick. They search for them all day long and eat them like candy.
Unfortunately, I don't really have the ability to stop it. My vet wants it done every 3 months, and my parents aren't the convincable type after they made up their mind. At this point I think we should just be happy that we aren't going with some other stuff that my mom picked up at Home Depot. That one is more industrial and only has one ingredient (that I've never heard of) listed.

The only other spray we have access to is a household one that is meant for spraying your dogs every 3 days. Possibly I could get my mom to spray away from his cage, and I could spray the household stuff around it, but it would have to be quite frequent. Neither of which would be sprayed inside of his cage.

The other spray is Dr. Green Pet flea+tick prevention. Ingredients are 0.3 ceder oil, 0.7 clove oil, 0.3 peppermint oil, 0.2 cinnamon oil, 98.5 purified water.

I already told my mom that any possibility of him ever eating yard food will go out the window. I wish I could do something more, but this is the type of thing that will just cause a yelling match with no change.

Thank you

Tortski

Arizona

As for the fowl, my parents drew a line a pets after I got my tortoise, so not happening. Even if I did get them, the cats would probably kill them right away. My neighbor feeds them, so they tend to hangout in this area.

The only idea so far on how to get rid of the cats is planting a bunch of lavender. Maybe if we do that, the ticks will stop appearing. That's being hopeful though...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I get it. Gotta respect your parents wishes. Its their home and their rules.

Just for conversation though, cats won't bother a group of guinea fowl. The birds will gang up and run the cat off. They are pretty ferocious and territorial.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

As someone who lives in Connecticut, the origin and hot spot of Lyme disease, ticks are not something that can easily be controlled. I too do not use pesticides anywhere on our property because of our dogs and tortoise. We decided many years ago to eliminate grass in our yard as a way to mitigate ticks and protect our animals and us. Now our yard is all patios, gravel and garden beds. We never see ticks in our yard anymore, and we don’t have to mow or waste precious water. Unfortunately, so many people live in housing developments that REQUIRE lawns. It makes no sense...