Virus supplies worldwide comparison

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Oh no! I'm so sorry that you have this constant worry! Since I'm quite sure you have ruled out the possibility of bringing her home with you for a while, all I can do for you both is pray. And that I have already been doing. ?
She's in Georgia.
I'm in Florida, 600 miles away.
She has many medical issues and requires around the clock care.
The facility uses her monthly social security payment, some cash from myself, Medicare and Medicaid and the two states don't have any sort of reciprocity. So simply moving her becomes extremely difficult.
She'd need to be in a nursing home if she was in Florida also. I'm in no condition to provide that kind of intensive care. And
It would take many months to get everything approved. (If it even was a certainty)
When I met my wife, her mother was in the final stages of Alzheimers disease and she and I moved her from one specialized facility to the next. She was beaten, had items stolen and at one point became malnourished.
I have no faith in any facility (here) nearby. And I'm very pleased with the care where she is (there) and with the management and nursing staff.
There are too many reasons to keep her at her current facility.
We are in almost daily contact in regards to her care.
Couple that with the fact that even if everything else was equal, Broward Florida is also a horrible place for COVID-19 and nursing homes.
Mom has her own phone. We speak each day and she seems to not have much concept of time. So not visiting right now hasn't been a big issue yet.
This is something I approach on a day to day basis

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
She's in Georgia.
I'm in Florida, 600 miles away.
She has many medical issues and requires around the clock care.
The facility uses her monthly social security payment, some cash from myself, Medicare and Medicaid and the two states don't have any sort of reciprocity. So simply moving her becomes extremely difficult.
She'd need to be in a nursing home if she was in Florida also. I'm in no condition to provide that kind of intensive care. And
It would take many months to get everything approved. (If it even was a certainty)
When I met my wife, her mother was in the final stages of Alzheimers disease and she and I moved her from one specialized facility to the next. She was beaten, had items stolen and at one point became malnourished.
I have no faith in any facility (here) nearby. And I'm very pleased with the care where she is (there) and with the management and nursing staff.
There are too many reasons to keep her at her current facility.
We are in almost daily contact in regards to her care.
Couple that with the fact that even if everything else was equal, Broward Florida is also a horrible place for COVID-19 and nursing homes.
Mom has her own phone. We speak each day and she seems to not have much concept of time. So not visiting right now hasn't been a big issue yet.
This is something I approach on a day to day basis
Is she aware of covid-19 and the havoc it is causing?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
There are now 9 residents with COVID-19 at my mothers nursing home and 2 infected staff.
I'll be praying for your mother. It seems like infected staff would have to be bringing it in in the first place. It doesn't mysteriously blow in the window. They need a better way to handle nursing homes. The families aren't allowed in but the staff has to. The staff should be acting as if they themselves have it...and wear protective gear while caring for their patients.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Gas is still hovering around $1.85 a gallon.
Puzzling.
Because I live pretty close to the port of Fort Lauderdale.
Logic would make me think it'd be cheaper here.
It never is.
Duh ugh My gas is cheap as heck, cheaper than I have seen it in a long time...$2.85, I filled up the damn tank even tho I don't go any where

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Went to my Dr this am for my back. He came into the room in full PPI. 2 freakin respirators, full face cover, full body covering. I said, "you're kidding, right?"...nope, serious. That was about the last thing I understood due to I can't remember to put in my new hearing aids and he was talking thru a lot of covering. I'm really not joking. I got just as tired of saying huh? as he got hearing it, so I just quit. This is what I heard for sure in a 1/2 hr visit, MRI, surgery, steroids. I am home now, really confused and mad at myself for not being more aggressive, but damn, I'm just in so much pain now that's about all I can think about. Basically I'm alright. and I will be better.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'll be praying for your mother. It seems like infected staff would have to be bringing it in in the first place. It doesn't mysteriously blow in the window. They need a better way to handle nursing homes. The families aren't allowed in but the staff has to. The staff should be acting as if they themselves have it...and wear protective gear while caring for their patients.
Everyone is learning as they go.
I've been told that 8 of the 9 Covid residents are asymptomatic. So, it'd be easy to overlook.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Went to my Dr this am for my back. He came into the room in full PPI. 2 freakin respirators, full face cover, full body covering. I said, "you're kidding, right?"...nope, serious. That was about the last thing I understood due to I can't remember to put in my new hearing aids and he was talking thru a lot of covering. I'm really not joking. I got just as tired of saying huh? as he got hearing it, so I just quit. This is what I heard for sure in a 1/2 hr visit, MRI, surgery, steroids. I am home now, really confused and mad at myself for not being more aggressive, but damn, I'm just in so much pain now that's about all I can think about. Basically I'm alright. and I will be better.
I've got the same prognosis.
New MRIs. More back surgery and a steroid pack...That I'm picking up at Walgreens later on today.
May our backs both be better soon.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Everyone is learning as they go.
I've been told that 8 of the 9 Covid residents are asymptomatic. So, it'd be easy to overlook.
Yes. When I ask about my daughter in law (that voluntered) and all...my son. says they could be asymptomatic.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I hate it when people put their phone on speaker phone so they can lay on their butt...I have enough of a hard time hearing them. I can just about imagine your annoyance level at that point. And then to have them come into your room looking like who knows what...I hope your pain subsides soon.?

Salisbury

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I believe that living in Corvallis is kinda like living in a protected bubble. Our shelves are full, stores are mostly empty of people, traffic is almost non-existent, Oregon is opening, virus cases are rising, and Dale Earnhardt Jr is driving in today's race, without seat time for 5 years, no practice runs, no qualifying. I predict he will not finish in the top 10...?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
It means they are carrying and spreading the virus But...it's not making that person sick.

asymptomatic actually just means without symptoms and you will never have symptoms even though you have , in this case , covid ….. as far as an asymptomatic person spreading the virus , I think they are questioning just how often that happens , leaning toward it being rare ……… the people without symptoms that are more likely to spread covid are pre-symptomatic people , people who will have symptoms , just haven't had them yet , that 14 day window …..…..

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
When I went grocery shopping Thursday afternoon, my local Publix had some of the items I hadn't seen in months, or that I've only seen in the last week or two.. They actually had the blue Dawn dishwashing liquid. Not a lot of it, but they did have it. They had hand sanitizer (modest sizes and quantities) and liquid hand soap (not the brand I wanted, but at least they had it).

There were still empty sections of shelves in the paper towel section, but the toilet paper side of the aisle was filled in. Granted, much of that space was filled with individually packaged (single) rolls of toilet paper for purchase at $0.79 each. Imagine 8 or 10 feet of shelf space filled with single rolls of toilet paper, wrapped individually in opaque packaging that looked like paper, versus the clear plastic packaging we're used to.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
The pricing on paper towels and toilet paper is, well, downright painful. I don't know how much the base prices on these items have actually increased, but Publix isn't putting any these paper products on sale any more. Not that anyone else would have them in sale now, at least not in a brick-and-mortar store. Still... Before COVID, I normally wouldn't buy those products except when they were on sale. The sales Publix used to have regularly would drop the cost probably $3-$7 per package on higher end, name brand paper towels and toilet paper.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I believe that living in Corvallis is kinda like living in a protected bubble. Our shelves are full, stores are mostly empty of people, traffic is almost non-existent, Oregon is opening, virus cases are rising, and Dale Earnhardt Jr is driving in today's race, without seat time for 5 years, no practice runs, no qualifying. I predict he will not finish in the top 10...?
So he's not going to be at his car dealership in Tallahassee today, is he? ?