Virus supplies worldwide comparison

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Anyone looked into the eat right for your blood type book? I feel the science and info is good, that being said if a person has been eating for their blood type they are more likely to have a successfully functioning immune system. Its been a while since I read the book, but if I remember correctly, the O’s have a more
wide variety of foods they can eat then the A’s. So the poor A’s may be eating things that render certain body systems to not perform well.
My doctor said to me I keep forgetting you have a weird diet. I told him...it's not so weird. I just have to eat real food. I'm allergic to corn. He just looked at me and shut up...?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I came to this site to learn about tortoises too. It took me a while to learn how to somewhat navigate it. I've found I really enjoy talking with the members also on other subjects. At first I didn't know what in the world I'd gotten into this time...hang in there?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm O+ as well, and from what (a little) I've seen on blood types and susceptibility to COVID symptoms, we may be less likely to show symptoms, or less likely to have a worse time of it, than someone with an A+/A- type.

I don't think anything I've read on COVID symptoms and blood types had been fully reviewed or peer reviewed at the time, so the above paragraph is subject to revision in light of sound science. Or whatever other disclaimers apply. ;)
My brother is a nursing director at the hospital in my county and that's what he said. They are finding certain blood types have no symptoms, some get mildly sick, and others get really sick.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I think it’s a good thing for people to vent. I think it’s good that the tortoise form can have separate threads for which we can vent or talk about other things. I’ve mentioned before I’m not on any other social media. I try to avoid politics rigorously even when I feel very passionate about something. If I have a cause I will contribute money, time, support candidates, and vote. I certainly speak my mind. That’s not what I want to do right now about Covid though. I want to vent. I am a doctor in Phoenix Arizona. I am very frustrated sometimes because I spend 10 to 12 hours a day wearing either a surgical mask or a KN95 which is not protecting me and our patients are all told that they must wear masks and practice social distancing when they come to the office. When I enter the exam room at least 50% of the time my patients have their masks removed and I am over 60. I am dismayed because I wear a mask to protect them. I clean the room along with my medical assistant after they come in and before we open and when we close. We also have a cleaning crew. We try our best to keep things sanitized, we offer telemedicine, and I always have that dang mask. I can feel it on my face for hours after I go home. I wish I could have an N95 but they don’t make it available to an endocrinologist. Only a N95 fitted would protect me from my patients nearly completely. I buy my own masks and support to other families so I tend to re-wear my mask over and over again. Please wear masks. It is not impinging on your constitutional freedoms. It is not a political issue it is not a political issue. It is no more unreasonable than wearing clothing. No more so than sending your children to school in some format or wearing a seatbelt or following the speed limit or not yelling “fire” in a movie theater. There are societal norms and there’s public safety issues. Love your fellow man enough to be kind enough to put a piece of cloth over your nose and mouth. It is not that bad to do when you are out and about. As far as the danger of this virus we have no vaccine. I doubt we will have a vaccine by the end of the year and may never have a vaccine. Look at HIV. Look at other viral entities. Any death is too many deaths. The death rate is higher for COVID-19 than for the flu as far as actual numbers in the US even if the percentage is lower because the infection rate is quite high for COVID. I would say I’m done ranting now but it’s unlikely. When I do walk in and my patients aren’t wearing their masks they invariably say that they don’t think that I should mind because I’m sure they don’t have it and it’s so hard to talk to me with a mask. And it’s hot and uncomfortable. And it impinges on their rights. I leave mine on and say nothing and honestly wonder why my life isn’t valuable enough for them to protect me. Sorry about the long post. This has been bugging me for a long time.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
It's okay. On some of these Off Topic Chit Chat threads, it can take a while to get a feel for the "personality" of the individual thread... Especially since those personalities can change over time. :)

I want to make sure that we are not making our newer or younger members feel unwelcome or excluded from these off topic threads because there is a lot to learn, even if it isn't all tortoise related. ;) We sometimes get a better sense of the individual personalities of other members in these off topic threads, which helps us to understand the humor and how various comments may be intended (less likely to be read as offensive) in other threads.

Don't be afraid to seek clarification or ask for more information (background or context). Where someone is coming from is often just as important to the information being conveyed in a post.
My personality is old and curmudgeonly if you didn’t pick up on it. You’re always welcome to express your point of view and when I was a newer member I was terrified to talk about anything because I was afraid I would have my head bitten off by a another member and instead it’s been really supportive and even when I have had a little pushback it’s usually done with humor and with kindness.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
gotcha Ed , politicians suck …….. most of them are a bunch of inept skillless folks with no integrity , some are obviously and blatantly stupid ……… term limits , most of them would be unemployed and unemployable ……..
Heh heh...glad I’m not a politician...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
And I am not complaining I am sorry bout what I said to ZEROPILOT
Maggie is one of my many friends here.
She just came to my rescue.
Stick around. She'll probably become a friend of yours, too.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think it’s a good thing for people to vent. I think it’s good that the tortoise form can have separate threads for which we can vent or talk about other things. I’ve mentioned before I’m not on any other social media. I try to avoid politics rigorously even when I feel very passionate about something. If I have a cause I will contribute money, time, support candidates, and vote. I certainly speak my mind. That’s not what I want to do right now about Covid though. I want to vent. I am a doctor in Phoenix Arizona. I am very frustrated sometimes because I spend 10 to 12 hours a day wearing either a surgical mask or a KN95 which is not protecting me and our patients are all told that they must wear masks and practice social distancing when they come to the office. When I enter the exam room at least 50% of the time my patients have their masks removed and I am over 60. I am dismayed because I wear a mask to protect them. I clean the room along with my medical assistant after they come in and before we open and when we close. We also have a cleaning crew. We try our best to keep things sanitized, we offer telemedicine, and I always have that dang mask. I can feel it on my face for hours after I go home. I wish I could have an N95 but they don’t make it available to an endocrinologist. Only a N95 fitted would protect me from my patients nearly completely. I buy my own masks and support to other families so I tend to re-wear my mask over and over again. Please wear masks. It is not impinging on your constitutional freedoms. It is not a political issue it is not a political issue. It is no more unreasonable than wearing clothing. No more so than sending your children to school in some format or wearing a seatbelt or following the speed limit or not yelling “fire” in a movie theater. There are societal norms and there’s public safety issues. Love your fellow man enough to be kind enough to put a piece of cloth over your nose and mouth. It is not that bad to do when you are out and about. As far as the danger of this virus we have no vaccine. I doubt we will have a vaccine by the end of the year and may never have a vaccine. Look at HIV. Look at other viral entities. Any death is too many deaths. The death rate is higher for COVID-19 than for the flu as far as actual numbers in the US even if the percentage is lower because the infection rate is quite high for COVID. I would say I’m done ranting now but it’s unlikely. When I do walk in and my patients aren’t wearing their masks they invariably say that they don’t think that I should mind because I’m sure they don’t have it and it’s so hard to talk to me with a mask. And it’s hot and uncomfortable. And it impinges on their rights. I leave mine on and say nothing and honestly wonder why my life isn’t valuable enough for them to protect me. Sorry about the long post. This has been bugging me for a long time.
I hear you. I'm 67 with health problems. I wear a cloth mask around people other then close family members because I don't know what I've been exposed to. But really I like them. They are so much better then the n95 masks. Those make me sick. My homemade ones are doing double duty because they are actually helping with my allergy problem too. I'll be thinking hoping and praying with you.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I'm so glad you vented. Please vent again, as much as you want. ?

I could be wrong, but I think if you visit a medical office in Florida, you have to wear a face mask. The entire time. And you aren't likely to be visiting a medical office in Florida if there's any way they can possibly handle your issue remotely.

When I got my hair cut recently, I had to wear a mask. It was something to get used to, but I understood the why.

I think it's even more important for medical professionals to share and vent about stuff like this (if they want to and feel up to it). It's a perspective we don't often see directly.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I am confident that mandatory face coverings in public areas are for the purpose of scaring the general public. And it works. With respects to medical offices, hospitals, and more - this is a separate issue. The humans visiting medical facilities actually have or may have any number of medical issues ranging from infection to a susceptible immune system. At said medical facilities they all sit in the same rooms for a good amount of time, sit in the same chairs, touch same handles, use the flower pen at the front desk to sign in (flower pen might be gone now)... This is not “new news” to anyone. Face coverings may help reduce infection among staff and patients. I am 100% for face coverings in all hospitals and medical facilities. The medical industry should have been requiring face coverings LONG ago. I think anyone who has sat in the ER can agree with that.. Also a medical patient is not A customer. They are there to seek your care.

Everyones job in society has provided them with life experience and helps them shape their opinion as they grow. I am (was, my job has been permanently terminated) a server at a high volume restaurant on the Las Vegas Strip. I am very interested to hear how the different aspects of the medical field are being affected world wide and actually getting insite from real people with real stories like yourself.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
That is not VENTING! You are just being honest about a topic that ranges from far-fetched to world ending point of views from EXPERTS and blather heads! COVID-19 is very contagious so please wear a mask around others, wash hands frequently, and please stay 60' feet away from me! I know how far a sneeze travels and I would hate to have to pop you in the kisser for sneezing on me now.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Heh heh...glad I’m not a politician...

possibly if folks like you were making political decisions I would feel differently ..... i don't have to agree with their stances to see the logic in them , when they're illogical , half truth/half lie or straight up lie , in an effort to mislead , taking me for a fool i kind of resent that .......

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I am confident that mandatory face coverings in public areas are for the purpose of scaring the general public. And it works. With respects to medical offices, hospitals, and more - this is a separate issue. The humans visiting medical facilities actually have or may have any number of medical issues ranging from infection to a susceptible immune system. At said medical facilities they all sit in the same rooms for a good amount of time, sit in the same chairs, touch same handles, use the flower pen at the front desk to sign in (flower pen might be gone now)... This is not “new news” to anyone. Face coverings may help reduce infection among staff and patients. I am 100% for face coverings in all hospitals and medical facilities. The medical industry should have been requiring face coverings LONG ago. I think anyone who has sat in the ER can agree with that.. Also a medical patient is not A customer. They are there to seek your care.

Everyones job in society has provided them with life experience and helps them shape their opinion as they grow. I am (was, my job has been permanently terminated) a server at a high volume restaurant on the Las Vegas Strip. I am very interested to hear how the different aspects of the medical field are being affected world wide and actually getting insite from real people with real stories like yourself.
So I always wondered what’s with those stupid pens with the flowers on the top anyway? Who would want to steal a cheap pen and I feel like an idiot anytime I have to pick one of them up.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
possibly if folks like you were making political decisions I would feel differently ..... i don't have to agree with their stances to see the logic in them , when they're illogical , half truth/half lie or straight up lie , in an effort to mislead , taking me for a fool i kind of resent that .......
You were nicer than me. With that list I would be bitterly resentful especially if they take me for a fool. I really would make a very crappy politician.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix

I feel for you about the job. My nephew worked as a server and bar back and he has not worked since March 17. He is living with me now and they just closed bars again after he actually worked a couple of weeks. He was worried about working because the cases in Arizona are climbing so fast yet he desperately needed the job and he’d rather take a risk than be broke. He didn’t get to choose. He’s lost his apartment and savings and is battling depression. My niece in law is a dental hygienist and their office has elected not to open until there’s less infections and we’re actually getting exponentially more. Almost all my family is in the restaurant industry or other service industry. Another nephew works at music instrument Museum and it’s been closed and will be closed until maybe August or September or they will permanently closed. My sister and I have been supporting everyone and it has wiped out my retirement. It is a very difficult if not impossible balance between public safety and having a life to be safe over. People are losing everything they have to try to prevent an infection and God forbid a death. I don’t have any suggestions for the balance other than to protect yourself as best you can and hang in there. To me the hardest thing of all is the people being hurt the worst are the people who need a steady income and they’re being expected to either give up jobs for months or put themselves out there at risk and take pay cuts, get sick or even die. As a nation we should’ve been better prepared, and that statement isn’t meant to be political but just a statement of fact.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
So I always wondered what’s with those stupid pens with the flowers on the top anyway? Who would want to steal a cheap pen and I feel like an idiot anytime I have to pick one of them up.
Most people don't mean to steal the pen at the front desk, but many are prone to walking off with a writing implement they just borrowed. When they no longer need it, it's no longer in mind, but it's still in hand... Out of habit, pens get tucked away so people can juggle everything else they brought into the office with them. Those flowers get noticed before (when) they go in somebody's pocket, strikes the accidental culprit as odd, and the person realizes (oops!) I need to return this! :D

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
That's not venting, and it sure reminds ME that other's are being slammed by Covid 19, and honestly, I am not touched in a bad way by it. I love the roads being empty, I have gone speeding up and down 99N, just because I could, I've been self-isolating since before it was fashionable, so what's new there? The grocery store has 'a seniors hours', no freakin kids running screaming up and down, shelves are stocked now always, and the bone of contention...
MASKS...I like that as well. I'm old and wrinkled now, so covering my face is cool, and I get to make-up my eyes dramatically. I think masks are fun, I have 13 of them now, I have 2 favorites, my NASCAR checkered flag, and one of cartoon turtles with dumb smiles on their faces. This is my opinion on that...Our bi**h governor made masks mandatory, and FB has just blown up...even some of my friends, (yes, I do have a couple), are complaining about their rights being taken away. Well, what about MY rights and you putting this old lady in jeopardy because you are too vain to protect ME from YOU. If you are asymptomatic you can make me sick if you are not wearing a mask. So when I see you in town in a mall, without a mask I know just how selfish you really are.
About 2 months ago I had a Drs appt. So I show up, knock on the door and a tech come out with a thermometer, does her thing and says I'll be right back...and she was, telling me I had a temp of 102.5, I couldn't come in. Now, ok I do understand all that protection stuff, but I don't necessarily go to the Dr when I'm feeling good, so now I've got an appointment because I'm sick, but I can't go in and see the DR because I'm sick. So I go home and got sicker and sicker. Last week I had an appointment, the DR come in the room in complete PPE. 2 freakin face masks, one a clear full face shield, and over his nose and mouth a mask with 2 respirators on it. I said you're kidding, right? Nope and in the 20 minute appt I understood 4 words I think. It made me feel less than, I took it personally I think. Well, I know I took it personally, but at least I was wearing a mask; the one with classic cars on it...
100_3898.JPG