Vision cage help will this work for Burmese star tortoise for life

braige thomas

Location (City and/or State)
Knoxville TENNESSEE
So I found a vision cage for sale near me for cheap wanted to know if this would be fine as the newer version has uv places and dome places please tell me if you think this 6 foot by 36 wide by 18 tall is big enough for Burmese star tortoises I have a sulcata but really want something I can keep in tank for life put outside when possible obviously but not year round wanna get mabye 2 to put in there thank you let me know will post pictures as you can see on the vison website the newer one hase better holes but will the one pictured work with heat dome lamps and uv bulb obviously trying to get deal and not pay 1300$

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230314-132415.png
    Screenshot_20230314-132415.png
    532.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230314-132412.png
    Screenshot_20230314-132412.png
    191.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230314-125515.png
    Screenshot_20230314-125515.png
    169 KB · Views: 9

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I found a vision cage for sale near me for cheap wanted to know if this would be fine as the newer version has uv places and dome places please tell me if you think this 6 foot by 36 wide by 18 tall is big enough for Burmese star tortoises I have a sulcata but really want something I can keep in tank for life put outside when possible obviously but not year round wanna get mabye 2 to put in there thank you let me know will post pictures as you can see on the vison website the newer one hase better holes but will the one pictured work with heat dome lamps and uv bulb obviously trying to get deal and not pay 1300$
The short answer is no, it won't work. You need at least 8x3 feet and that is a minimum. Better to have something larger than that. You also want it at least 24 inches tall inside and 30 inches is better.

The 6x3 would be good for starting smaller tortoises.

braige thomas

Knoxville TENNESSEE
The short answer is no, it won't work. You need at least 8x3 feet and that is a minimum. Better to have something larger than that. You also want it at least 24 inches tall inside and 30 inches is better.

The 6x3 would be good for starting smaller tortoises.
So you replied to my other post about the sulcata I quickly found out that that is going to be a problem eventually so I want to get something smaller I don't want to get rid of the sulcata but I don't know and it says that the Indian star ones aren't very like handleable they don't like it but the Burmese star one does but it gets like 12 in so do you think I could keep them in that one that I posted for at least like a couple years cuz I just want to get one that is just over and done with you know what I mean just the perfect one and that's it but that one's only 500 bucks and any 8 by 3 ft bigger one than that one's going to be 1500 or more and that cage is $1,000 new so what do you think you think it would be worth it to keep them in there for a while I want to get something that looks like the radiator tortoise that doesn't get as big that just in case I never do get a big house with some land which is the plan of course I could always have them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So you replied to my other post about the sulcata I quickly found out that that is going to be a problem eventually so I want to get something smaller I don't want to get rid of the sulcata but I don't know and it says that the Indian star ones aren't very like handleable they don't like it but the Burmese star one does but it gets like 12 in so do you think I could keep them in that one that I posted for at least like a couple years cuz I just want to get one that is just over and done with you know what I mean just the perfect one and that's it but that one's only 500 bucks and any 8 by 3 ft bigger one than that one's going to be 1500 or more and that cage is $1,000 new so what do you think you think it would be worth it to keep them in there for a while I want to get something that looks like the radiator tortoise that doesn't get as big that just in case I never do get a big house with some land which is the plan of course I could always have them
I think this may be the longest sentence I have ever read, and I'm not entirely sure what it means.

You could keep a single Burmese star in a 6x3 for two years. They really start growing in year three and four.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
Honestly I think you could definitely keep a pair of Burmese stars in there for life, as long as it is just for the winter or at night during the colder months if it’s warm enough during the day. I would not keep an adult female tortoise of any kind in a vision cage for life, not having outside time for a multitude of reasons. How long are you planning on letting them live outside if it’s all summer, I know plenty of keeper who keep there animals way more crowded then this would be with 2 Burmese stars.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know plenty of keeper who keep there animals way more crowded then this would be with 2 Burmese stars.
So do I, but that in no way makes it right. Why would you recommend such a thing, and why would you recommend someone keep tortoises in a pair? That would not be good for them either.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
So do I, but that in no way makes it right. Why would you recommend such a thing, and why would you recommend someone keep tortoises in a pair? That would not be good for them either.
I’m not recommending it I am saying that it is feasible but is not the best option I think that 2 tortoises max in that enclosure not a male and a female although 2 animals do have a tendency to bully one another I’m just saying it’s no good for more then 2 animals

braige thomas

Knoxville TENNESSEE
Honestly I think you could definitely keep a pair of Burmese stars in there for life, as long as it is just for the winter or at night during the colder months if it’s warm enough during the day. I would not keep an adult female tortoise of any kind in a vision cage for life, not having outside time for a multitude of reasons. How long are you planning on letting them live outside if it’s all summer, I know plenty of keeper who keep there animals way more crowded then this would be with 2 Burmese stars.
I live in TENNESSEE so only when it's hot I just want a nice zotic tortoise that I don't have to have a whole room for I would build a outside enclosure if I got them or by the time they needed one in a couple years but outside time maybe may through September so most of the time would be in side what do you think ?

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
I live in TENNESSEE so only when it's hot I just want a nice zotic tortoise that I don't have to have a whole room for I would build a outside enclosure if I got them or by the time they needed one in a couple years but outside time maybe may through September so most of the time would be in side what do you think ?
Looking at you weather you are in the mid 50s in the wither so you could probably keep them outside year round and put them in that enclosure during the night and you could put them outside 1.5-2years old

braige thomas

Knoxville TENNESSEE
It gets down into 10 to 30 sometimes I was reading about them it said 75 to 95 temp I could keep them outside in the colder days even 40 30 degrees I mean its not all the time but a few months

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It gets down into 10 to 30 sometimes I was reading about them it said 75 to 95 temp I could keep them outside in the colder days even 40 30 degrees I mean its not all the time but a few months
If you made a 4x8 foot insulated, heated, night box for them, and installed a basking lamp on a timer, they could stay outside. You'd have to make sure the box stayed 80 when the temp dips to 10 outside, but on cold days and nights, you can just leave them locked in. When the weather is milder, you can open the door in the morning and let them wander and graze, and they can return to the heated and lit box to warm up. This is essentially what I do here when we have an unusual winter cold spell. For me, in my climate, it never gets that cold, so I let them out every day, even when it is raining. It doesn't snow here, and most winter days are sunny and in the 60's. Where you are, they might have to stay locked inside for weeks at a time. During that time of year, in your climate, I would prefer to have them inside.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I’m not recommending it I am saying that it is feasible but is not the best option I think that 2 tortoises max in that enclosure not a male and a female although 2 animals do have a tendency to bully one another I’m just saying it’s no good for more then 2 animals
Very dangerous advice you are giving in my opinion!