Visited the Radiated at ATL Zoo. Is this a shell repair?

Akdrillo86

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi everyone.

I’ve owned a 9 month old Radiated Tortoise for just about two weeks now. I went to the Atlanta Zoo and visited their adult Radiated and took some pictures. Looks to me to be a high yellow variant which I thought was cool. On the front of the shell, around the head, is that some kind of shell repair or epoxy? Looks off from the rest but could not get close enough to inspect and don’t know enough yet so I thought I would ask you all. What do you think? Does it look like the shell was repaired? If so, what would they use for something like that? Just peaked my curiosity.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4214_Original.jpegIMG_4252_Original.jpegIMG_4249_Original.jpeg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone.

I’ve owned a 9 month old Radiated Tortoise for just about two weeks now. I went to the Atlanta Zoo and visited their adult Radiated and took some pictures. Looks to me to be a high yellow variant which I thought was cool. On the front of the shell, around the head, is that some kind of shell repair or epoxy? Looks off from the rest but could not get close enough to inspect and don’t know enough yet so I thought I would ask you all. What do you think? Does it look like the shell was repaired? If so, what would they use for something like that? Just peaked my curiosity.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 379764View attachment 379765View attachment 379766
Yes, I agree with jazei's assessment. The scutes have fallen off for some unknown reason (IE, an infection, a traumatic injury, a burn, etc.) and what you are seeing is the underlying bone which has been exposed for a very long time, judging by the appearance and color.

Akdrillo86

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks @jaizei and @zovick super interesting.

So this raises another question. What purpose do the scutes serve? UV protection? Camouflage? Holding the nerves and blood vessels on the shell?

Thanks for your time.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks @jaizei and @zovick super interesting.

So this raises another question. What purpose do the scutes serve? UV protection? Camouflage? Holding the nerves and blood vessels on the shell?

Thanks for your time.
I think that the scutes do provide camouflage as well as protecting the underlying bone from damage. The scutes are like our fingernails in that they have no nerves or blood vessels in them. Those are in the bone under the scutes.