Visited the SC turtle/tortoise rescue at the Charleston aquarium.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
I love the Charleston aquarium, it has a really great set up and focuses a lot on our shelled friends. For an extra $10 on your ticket you can get a tour of the sea turtle rehab center (which doesn't cater to just sea turtles). Sadly I think some pictures disappeared from my phone because I was sure I had pics of of the two Gopher torts....one was blind and un-releasable but there was a female that was hit by a car that they are trying to rehab.

They have tons of DBT's, I mean tons. They take in improperly cared for pet DBTs and I think they had their own breeding program.
F4E4ojy.png
jxkCa65.png

jFS3E5K.png

Baby DBT's
cAjUk89.png

They had 4 sea turtles mid-rehab when I visited.
oklb03a.png

MXDt7kU.png

DBTs on exhibit (they have a huge screened patio with native species in an artificial river around the edge)
hbRvfUl.png

This was the gopher tort they had on exhibit, They had a lot of other aquatics indoors but none of those pictures really turned out. There was also a touring Madagascar exhibition with spider torts (I think I'm in love).

agNCmXA.png

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
WOW!! That is so cool! Thanks so much for posting! DBT are one of my dream tortoises!:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice. Loving me the sea turtles. Been seeing some sea turtles in the ocean while on vacation. Hoping to catch them on the beach next. Thanks for sharing.