Visitor in DT outside burrow?

Ida

Hello all,
Just wanted to share what I found yesterday. Ms Ida the DT has been out and about in the yard lately (pretty warm here in Phoenix) sleeping over night in different areas of the yard, not uncommon to do so. So I looked inside her burrow and what did I find a dead Curve-billed Thrasher belly up....how did you get there? What made you go in here? Very crazy just glad I found, here I thought I was on top of everything for her. Got bird out looked around to make sure all clean and clear. When she comes out today I'll take her over to burrow so she can see all okay now, and her unwanted visitor is gone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Interesting. Lots of animals will look for underground hidey holes to go and die. In Africa the dying animals use sulcata burrows for this purpose, and "The Crying Tortoise" book says the sulcatas eat the corpses. Curious to me that your DT did not. Perhaps its because its still relatively cold out (compared to Spring and summer), and your tortoise doesn't have much appetite yet? Perhaps DTs just don't do that?

I'll be curious to know if your tortoise starts using the burrow again, what with the smell and all.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Huh, would never thought a bird would be in it. Wonder if it's death had anything to do with the tortoise killing it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
DT's have been known to snacck on carcassess in the wild, just not common practie. Lots of animals share the DT burrows in the wild. They do dig nice burrows

Ida

Very strange I know... When I took the bird out it looked all intact, so maybe she had nothing to do with it. Didn't get the chance to show her the burrow is empty now, maybe tomorrow. She's eating good, cruising around the yard in the day, sunning and looking around. Love that she's out, my entertainment.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very strange I know... When I took the bird out it looked all intact, so maybe she had nothing to do with it. Didn't get the chance to show her the burrow is empty now, maybe tomorrow. She's eating good, cruising around the yard in the day, sunning and looking around. Love that she's out, my entertainment.

likely an ill bird that happened into the burrow....not usual for a DT to stalk, round up then kill a bird....interesting just the same...

Reactions: Ida

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
I feel like we are playing the game of "Clue". "But who was the real culprit?" It sounds like a cat killed the bird and left it in the burrow. That's why there is no evidence on the body of how it was killed. Domestic cats, as you probably already know, kill creatures they don't even eat. Then the tortoise, perhaps not wanting to hang out next to a dead bird, found another place to sleep. I'll be interested to hear if she goes back to sleeping in her burrow now that the bird has been removed.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
My CDT are out also but not eating yet. Did you soak her after she is waking up from the hibernation??

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I feel like we are playing the game of "Clue". "But who was the real culprit?" It sounds like a cat killed the bird and left it in the burrow. That's why there is no evidence on the body of how it was killed. Domestic cats, as you probably already know, kill creatures they don't even eat. Then the tortoise, perhaps not wanting to hang out next to a dead bird, found another place to sleep. I'll be interested to hear if she goes back to sleeping in her burrow now that the bird has been removed.

LOL...see here we don't have much in the way of domesticated cats...here in the desert, the house kitty stays in the house or it becomes coyote treat....the cats that are indeed wild/outdoor cats never let a piece of a kill go to waste....I have seen then literally eat every part of squirrel (well, not the entire tail), rabbit, gopher, a variety of birds...all gone in its entirety ....not dashing your theory, it is as good as any...and I bet the tortoise will appreciate the body being removed....I often wonder if a tortoise is aware that a dead body laying about in their home can bring the undesirables right to them....I mean, there are theories that some creatures will even eat their own feces simply to assure that there is none laying about to attract/lead predators to them???? Who really "knows"---no one....

Ida

Well I do have a cat but like someone mentioned she'd do some damage on that bird if it was my cat. Who knows how that bird got there, was such a surprise, just glad I finally looked in there too find it and get rid of it. This DT life is never boring. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424358953.257556.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Well I do have a cat but like someone mentioned she'd do some damage on that bird if it was my cat. Who knows how that bird got there, was such a surprise, just glad I finally looked in there too find it and get rid of it. This DT life is never boring. View attachment 119029
Very health and nice looking DT.

Ida

Thank you nice to hear that, especially from another owner that knows. I don't know anyone else that has one, this forum is my only link for help and suggestions. Other than doctor visits.