Vita Sand Substrate for young sulcata: ok?

hermrei

Location (City and/or State)
Manila
I have a very young sulcata. I live in Manila where he temperature is usually at 26 degrees C. Question: is this substrate ok?

ZooMed Vita sand

Thanks

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!

That substrate is definitely not okay to use. Not only is any type of sand a huge impaction risk and an eye, nose, skin, and cloaka irritant, but it does not hold the 80-100% humidity that a Sulcata desperately needs. In fact, there is no reptile that vitasand should be used for.

Please give these a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Could we see pictures of your tortoise and enclosure?

Bee62

Germany
This sand ( Zoo Med Vita Sand ) is a special sand for reptiles. It is pure calcium carbonate which is eatable for tortoises and other reptiles. It is safe.
You can use it maybe in one corner or half the enclosure but I would not use it in the whole enclosure.
Be sure that the night temps in the enclosure do not drop below 26 C and keep the humidity high ( 80 - 90 % ). Only in high humidity your sulcata grow with a smooth shell. And do not forget to soak your tort every day in warm water ( water must stay warm during the soak ) for 30 min.
Warmth night and day and high humidity are the keys for a healthy and smooth growing sulcata.:)
Do you measure temps and humidity in the enclosure of your baby tort ? Even when it is 26 C outside it could be colder in the enclosure and your baby tort could get sick. Baby torts can get quickly a respiration infect. It is very important knowing the right temps.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
This sand ( Zoo Med Vita Sand ) is a special sand for reptiles. It is pure calcium carbonate which is eatable for tortoises and other reptiles. It is safe.
You can use it maybe in one corner or half the enclosure but I would not use it in the whole enclosure.
Be sure that the night temps in the enclosure do not drop below 26 C and keep the humidity high ( 80 - 90 % ). Only in high humidity your sulcata grow with a smooth shell. And do not forget to soak your tort every day in warm water ( water must stay warm during the soak ) for 30 min.
Warmth night and day and high humidity are the keys for a healthy and smooth growing sulcata.:)
Do you measure temps and humidity in the enclosure of your baby tort ? Even when it is 26 C outside it could be colder in the enclosure and your baby tort could get sick. Baby torts can get quickly a respiration infect. It is very important knowing the right temps.

Actually, the calcium type sand has been found to still cause impaction in tortoises and other reptiles, and it’s extra dangerous because it entices the reptile to eat it because it’s made of calcium. Essentially, it’s too much of a good thing. It’s made from calcium carbonate, and it would be fine if administered in small amounts on top of food as a calcium supplement, but over time, frequent ingestion will reduce stomach acid, because it is alkaline. This stomach acid is necessary to digest food and the supplement itself; once stomach acid is neutralized, the calcium carbonate will cause impaction. Constipation is a side effect in humans of taking antacid tablets, so this means that the mineral will likely never pass on its own, causing dehydration which further compounds the problem.

Last edited:

Bee62

Germany
Actually, the calcium type sand has been found to still cause impaction a in tortoises and other reptiles, and it’s extra dangerous because it entices the reptile to eat it because it’s made of calcium. Essentially, it’s too much of a good thing. It’s made from calcium carbonate, and it would be fine if administered in small amounts on top of food as a calcium supplement, but over time, frequent ingestion will reduce stomach acid, because it is alkaline. This stomach acid is necessary to digest food and the supplement itself; once stomach acid is neutralized, the calcium carbonate will cause impaction. Constipation is a side effect in humans of taking antacid tablets, so this means that the mineral will likely never pass on its own, causing dehydration which further compounds the problem.
Okay. I believe you. Thanks. I thought this sand is safe but now I know better. Always learning.:)

hermrei

Manila
many thanks. how about the ZooMed Eco earth substrate which us copressed coconut fiber? thanks