Not open for further replies.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
Greetings everyone ~

There was a posting in which I had suggested Vitashell as a way to strengthen what appeared to be a shell issue, and was met with some who felt that such a product was dangerous as the waxes in the Vitashell could produce problems.

I sent the following to Tetra, the manufacturer of the cream:

Hello. My name is Purpod and I have been using your Vitashell product for years on my various turtles & tortoises. Recently, however, several people have told me that the wax in your product can cause harm to the animals; can you give me more information on Vitashell & it's possible harmful affects on my tortoises?
Thank You,
Purpod

The response I got was this:

Hello,
Some believe that the product clogs the shell. However, we did extensive testing on this product and it has been on the market for many years without any harmful effects noticed. The difference it makes to damaged shells is amazing.
Regards,
United Pet Group

Anyways, I just thought I'd toss that out there. Perhaps because I use an old tooth brush on my tortie regularly during his baths, I have not had any problems with this product, I dunno.. but I did want to put this up for others to view.

I do appreciate everyones words of advice, and am grateful to be a part of this community!
Blessings,
Purpod

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't personally use vitashell, I scrub with a toothbrush, but I must say a friend of my son has a DT who is bad shape and I have been helping them get him/her out of it, and they have been following instructions (thats a good thing). Anyways my point, they have been using vitashell on this tort ever since they got him, and now the stuff has hardened like wax to this torts shell and when I sit and try to scrub off it looks like candle wax ( it is soo nasty). Anyways I don't know if it is the product or the amount placed on the tort, but I don't see where it has helped him.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Wow, that's amazing, Jen! Thanx for the reply ~ The more I learn, the more curious I am, LOL!

Again, thanx ~
Purpod

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
No problem, I wasn't able to get it all off, but his shell felt more like wax then a shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.