vivarium grow your own weed help??

Norry and duggee

Location (City and/or State)
manchester
Hey so im just looking online for the best substrate to grow weeds for my russian hatchlings! What are russians usual fave weed too? I know mine love dandelions but want them to have a variety!! Please can someone point me to the best stuff

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey so im just looking online for the best substrate to grow weeds for my russian hatchlings! What are russians usual fave weed too? I know mine love dandelions but want them to have a variety!! Please can someone point me to the best stuff
Grow your weeds in pots with potting soil or in a garden with garden soil. Then cut and feed to your tortoise. Fertilizers are fine as long as the tortoise doesn't have access to the actual fertilizer product.

Soil of any kind is not a good substrate, and attempting to grow them in the indoor enclosure is futile. They will be eaten or trampled before they get going, and the lighting won't be right, if its right for your tortoise.

Norry and duggee

manchester
Grow your weeds in pots with potting soil or in a garden with garden soil. Then cut and feed to your tortoise. Fertilizers are fine as long as the tortoise doesn't have access to the actual fertilizer product.

Soil of any kind is not a good substrate, and attempting to grow them in the indoor enclosure is futile. They will be eaten or trampled before they get going, and the lighting won't be right, if its right for your tortoise.
NOTED! Im awful sorry to pick your brain but I wanna get some artificial vines to put all around the walls of vivarium is this okay? Or will they get confused and try eat it

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Some will try, some won't. You just have to watch them to find out.

You can put a pothos or spider plant in in a pot. You need to be sure no chemicals have been used on the plants, like bug or weed killer. You can easily start pothos from a cutting. Just find somebody who has one and doesn't use chemicals.

If the plants are "clean", it's OK if the torts nibble them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
NOTED! Im awful sorry to pick your brain but I wanna get some artificial vines to put all around the walls of vivarium is this okay? Or will they get confused and try eat it
No need to be sorry. We are all here to talk torts! :)

I agree with what Karen said.