Vivarium Lighting

Wiwiwisjebd

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi,

I have a horsfield tortoise who is around 1 years old (UK). He is currently in a tortoise table however I am wanting to upgrade to something bigger and have been looking at a vivarium as I have read that it is great for keeping humidity in also. The link to the one I have been interested in is below:

However, I am not sure about the lighting/fixtures I would need for this type of enclosure.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is the right idea, but much too small. Minimum size enclosure for a little baby would be 48 x24 inches, but at one year old, your tortoise should have already outgrown that size. There is a company over there in the UK that makes large vivariums at very reasonable prices. I can't remember the name...

Here is a simplified break down of heating and lighting:
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hello @Hansa bano It’s great that you’re wanting to upgrade to a larger enclosure for your tortoise. Here is a link to the place Tom was thinking of in the UK that makes larger closed chamber enclosures.

Here is a link to the Arcadia fixture and bulb you’d need for your tortoise. This type of fixture can be screwed right into the top of the enclosure.

Most places that make closed chamber enclosures offer options for electrical to be installed, so that may be an option as well.

Wiwiwisjebd

London
Thank you so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure I am doing everything right by my tortoise! Alongside this would I need any other lighting like a basking bulb? As I have previously had a 2 in 1 UVA and UVB bulb in an
Arcadia Ceramic Reflector Clamp which I have now read isn't so great to use.

One of the vivarium's I have looked at is around 17 inches in height, is there any way of knowing what wattage of the Arcadia ProT5 kit 12% to purchase or will it just have to be a trial and error thing?

Sorry for all the questions!

Wiwiwisjebd

London
Just to add, I currently have added these lighting/fixtures that I have read about as potential purchases:

Wiwiwisjebd

London
If the height of the vivarium is around 16.5 /17inches would a Arcadia ProT5 Kit - Forest 6% 24W be better?

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
my russians absolutely hate my arcadia light. I even spent $260 on solar meter to make sure it wasn't to low. I've put it high/ low still doesn't matter. they won't come out of hides if it's on.

Wiwiwisjebd

London
Is it too bright for them? What would you suggest as an alternative/ what do your Russians prefer?

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
my russians absolutely hate my arcadia light. I even spent $260 on solar meter to make sure it wasn't to low. I've put it high/ low still doesn't matter. they won't come out of hides if it's on.
What Arcadia light are you using? What UV reading on the solar meter were you trying to achieve?

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
They get sunlight for now. Mine don't seem to mind the zilla brand
What Arcadia light are you using? What UV reading on the solar meter were you trying to achieve?
I don't remember it was last summer. I did look up the proper reading and it was in the proper range. Now I don't use it. I'm setting up an indoor enclosure to get some Leopard tortoises. We'll see if they have the same reaction. It's the desert 12% I believe from memory

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi
If you haven't already seen it, this is the caresheet you need which will help you check the temperatures and other aspects of care for your tort.
Ask as many questions as you like to clarify anything.
The flood basking bulb and uvb tube you have should be fine if you mount them at the correct heights.
I also use a CHE run through a thermostat (which will ensure that it doesn't get too hot) for night heat.
As already stated you will need a larger viv to make sure your tort has the floor space he needs to wander about which is essential for digestion and bone health so go as big as you can. (The juveniles/adults of the smaller species eventually need a minimum of 4 x 8 feet)

Last edited: