Vivarium or table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amandaahb

5 Year Member
Am getting ever so confused! Looking at buying my daughter her first tortoise, everywhere on line says tortoises should be housed in a table as better air flow. But 4 local petshops (uk) have all stated tortoises should be in a vivarium and that's the only way they would sell one is if we have a viv? Very confusing and conflicting information can anyone please help me as my daughter is desperate to buy her reserved tortoise!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Amanda:

Are the pet shops just trying to sell you a viv? There are many, many folks in the UK who don't use a viv. However, there's really nothing wrong with a viv, providing you get a big enough one. They make really nice plastic tubs too that work fine.

If the only way you're going to be able to get your reserved tortoise is to also buy a viv, then go ahead. You can make it work.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Depending on what species of tortoise and if it is a baby, the pet shop might be locked into their thinking on proper moisture and humidity. ?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The main benefit of a table is sheer size. A completely open-topped table is actually not a real practical habitat for some species and situations- for example, heating it can be tough if the room it is in is at all cool.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer the closed chamber type set ups for most species. Especially of we are talking about a baby. Adult Testudo sp. benefit from the larger space afforded by a table, but babies benefit from the more stable condition provided by a Vivarium.

What species and age are you looking at?

chris1810

5 Year Member
Get a table its cheaper i made mine from a old bookshelf it cost about £25 with his hide and all,My pet shop said the same to me untill i shown him the tortoise care website on my phonethat stated all tortoise should never ever be kept in a viv..His face was a picture..They want you to buy the viv cause it goes in their till.

Amandaahb

5 Year Member
Ok so we now have our Herman tortoise named rocky! He/she is in a tortoise table with that repti compressed grass substrate. What can I use instead I have a stinking headache from the smell of it, suppose of I had gone with a vivarium it wouldn't be so bad! Also any suggestions as what I can do to brighten up his home?

View attachment 19194

View attachment 19195

Attachments

• image-320005812.png
    image-320005812.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • image-2287047185.png
    image-2287047185.png
    211.7 KB · Views: 27

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the size and age of Rocky? Babies need different things than adults.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you need more humidity. There is no way to maintain humidity in an open topped table and with dry pellets for substrate.

In the mean time while you figure out what you want to do with your housing, I would soak him daily and offer a humid hide box. These things will at least keep him hydrated and help the shell continue to form smoothly.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
ok,,I was going to ask a question,,but now I think I may have found the answer...

My little guy is 7 months (eastern gulf box turtle) and I am about to buy a bigger vivarium for him. right now I keep the humidity at 70 and the temps are perfect ect,,I have him in a 15 gallon viv..(I got him as a hatchling) so I was prepared to keep him in there for 2 years,then go bigger and bigger as he grew..but I was offered a 30 gallon viv,and am afraid to move him into it yet,,as of now,all he does is bury himself and come out for daily soaks/feedings then right back to the earth lol..so is it tooo soon to put him into a larger viv??
I will get it,,but hold onto it till he's bigger .....

Status
Not open for further replies.