Vivariums. Good? Or a better idea...

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hey guys.
I have convinced my dad to help me make a new enclosure.

Should we make a vivarium or something else?

All tips are welcome!!!

Thanks.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
if by vivarium you mean mean a glass tank, then no. but that also depends on your tortoise's species. if you have a tortoise that needs high humidity, you may need to use glass (not sure about this.... input from other people would be appreciated) but if you have a desert tortoise, a tortoise table would be much better. try to stay away from glass fish tanks..... at least, thats what ive heard

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
if by vivarium you mean mean a glass tank, then no. but that also depends on your tortoise's species. if you have a tortoise that needs high humidity, you may need to use glass (not sure about this.... input from other people would be appreciated) but if you have a desert tortoise, a tortoise table would be much better. try to stay away from glass fish tanks..... at least, thats what ive heard

What you've heard is wrong Mike. Sorry. Glass tanks are fine for starting babies of any species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys.
I have convinced my dad to help me make a new enclosure.

Should we make a vivarium or something else?

All tips are welcome!!!

Thanks.

What species and size tortoise? It is much easier to maintain whatever conditions you want in a closed chamber. I prefer them to anything else for any species.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I cannot say enough good things about making a vivarium/closed tank (proper size is key!!) It's a great way to start a tort right! An open tortoise table will not give you the proper environment in regards to maintaining heat and humidity!

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
What you've heard is wrong Mike. Sorry. Glass tanks are fine for starting babies of any species.
Oh. I've always heard that (for adult tortoises anyways) glass tanks do not provide enough air circulation. Thanks for correcting me though!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh. I've always heard that (for adult tortoises anyways) glass tanks do not provide enough air circulation. Thanks for correcting me though!

That is just one of the reasons that some people cite for calling glass tanks "bad". If the air in the room is not the same temperature and humidity as what you want your tortoise to have inside its enclosure, then restricting air flow is good, right?

Closing off the air in your enclosure from the room air that is not the right temp or humidity, is a good thing for any age tortoise.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
That is just one of the reasons that some people cite for calling glass tanks "bad". If the air in the room is not the same temperature and humidity as what you want your tortoise to have inside its enclosure, then restricting air flow is good, right?

Closing off the air in your enclosure from the room air that is not the right temp or humidity, is a good thing for any age tortoise.
Oh, thank you for clearing this up tom!

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
What species and size tortoise? It is much easier to maintain whatever conditions you want in a closed chamber. I prefer them to anything else for any species.
He is a hermanns tort. He is still very tiny. And by vivarium I mean a wooden chamber but I would have 2 big glass doors too high for him to see out of.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I am quite worried about moving him from an open top table (half covered now) to all of a sudden a humid, closed chamber that he's not used to. Won't it be really stressful?

He seems to hate humidity an when it's really humid he paces back and forth and won't settle down. I know that humidity is good for him but is there any way I could make it less stressful for him?

Thanks

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are you sure he is getting stressed by humidity? Or is it just a new setting that makes him pace and explore? I would definitely recommend that type of enclosure for a baby tortoise. Even as an adult if you have it covered, not necessarily a tight chamber but at least covered, it makes a huge difference in your ability to keep the humidity at a decent level and keep it heated. So I say use the type that's in the picture while he is a baby. I don't think he will be stressed by the humidity at all. Give him a hides, plants, things to make them feel secure. Site barriers to make it feel bigger for him.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Are you sure he is getting stressed by humidity? Or is it just a new setting that makes him pace and explore? I would definitely recommend that type of enclosure for a baby tortoise. Even as an adult if you have it covered, not necessarily a tight chamber but at least covered, it makes a huge difference in your ability to keep the humidity at a decent level and keep it heated. So I say use the type that's in the picture while he is a baby. I don't think he will be stressed by the humidity at all. Give him a hides, plants, things to make them feel secure. Site barriers to make it feel bigger for him.
He was definitely stressed. He wa in his usual setting but on a really humid day. He was not exploring, just pacing but almost running as he was doing it. He also did a bit of head bobbing.

I hope that it's not too much of a difference as he is in a 3/4 close table and going into a fully closed chamber.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
hi spuds mum, we are planning the same type enclosure for fido :)
I'm hoping to build it ASAP (when my dad can help) as it is really hae to heat and maintain humidity in his table.

My dad has built many vivariums (for snakes that he used to keep) so it shouldn't be too hard :D

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
I'm hoping to build it ASAP (when my dad can help) as it is really hae to heat and maintain humidity in his table.

My dad has built many vivariums (for snakes that he used to keep) so it shouldn't be too hard :D

lucky spud :) I agree it will make maintaining things a lot easier, especially now it's getting colder and the central heating going on will dry the air out more.

i can't draw a stick man let alone a build plan so i need to learn as i go lol

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
lucky spud :) I agree it will make maintaining things a lot easier, especially now it's getting colder and the central heating going on will dry the air out more.

i can't draw a stick man let alone a build plan so i need to learn as i go lol
I'm winging it too I think :D
Getting to wood next weekend and starting it :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am quite worried about moving him from an open top table (half covered now) to all of a sudden a humid, closed chamber that he's not used to. Won't it be really stressful?

There is already a big misconception here… A closed chamber does not have to be humid. One could keep a dry closed chamber, as in the case of Uromastix. Closing the chamber, vs. having an open top that exchanges all its air with the room air, simply allows the user to easily create and maintain whatever conditions they prefer inside their enclosure.

You don't have to keep it steamy like a tropical rainforest in there. You can keep humidity at whatever level you think is best for your situation. Conversely, if you have an open top, you will be keeping humidity and temps at whatever levels the room is at.