VT permit for Hermanns Tortoise

sarah.mandol

5 Year Member
Thank you all! I figured it out online. Russians do not need a permit as long as they are captive bred but Hermanns do. We are going to add another Russian instead!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you all! I figured it out online. Russians do not need a permit as long as they are captive bred but Hermanns do. We are going to add another Russian instead!

Probably a lot easier....

but, you should post what VT Reg you are looking at that says you need one for a Hermanns.

good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
Anyone have experience getting a permit for a Hermanns tort in VT? Thank you!
I've never heard of needing a permit for a non-native tortoise anywhere in the country. Is this new? Why would you need a permit for a hermanni but not a Russian? That makes no sense.

VT as in Vermont? As in USA? You don't need a permit or license of any kind to carry a loaded concealed handgun there, but they are going to make you get a permit for a small tortoise? Really?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah I don't think that's necessary either. I think there's a misunderstanding.

sarah.mandol

5 Year Member
I've never heard of needing a permit for a non-native tortoise anywhere in the country. Is this new? Why would you need a permit for a hermanni but not a Russian? That makes no sense.

VT as in Vermont? As in USA? You don't need a permit or license of any kind to carry a loaded concealed handgun there, but they are going to make you get a permit for a small tortoise? Really?
Yes, VT the state lol. As of 2008 Redfoots captive bred and CB Russians do not require a permit.

sarah.mandol

5 Year Member
Yeah I don't think that's necessary either. I think there's a misunderstanding.
Probably a lot easier....

but, you should post what VT Reg you are looking at that says you need one for a Hermanns.

good luck

ZenHerper

New Jersey
New Jersey requires permits for all exotics...imported, native, and certain domestic species (as allowed). Permits for hobbyists vary from those for breeders and retailers. Breeding and retailing permits are inter-dependent with USDA licenses and inspections.

Each state is different as to the definition of domesticated, exotic, wild, etc.. Things change frequently. (These questions are legal at heart, so care should be taken when answering.)

Forex, in NJ: Egyptian Spiny Mice were originally permitted when bought legally and registered. When it was found they incubate and transmit hantavirus, they were banned.

sarah.mandol

5 Year Member
We did get an answer from Fish and Wildlife. Hermann's do require permits in VT. The fee for application is $100 and to keep as a pet is very unlikely to be approved. However, CB Russian torts do not!