Waking from hibernation

KS25

Location (City and/or State)
Norfolk, England
Please could I ask for some advise - I have woke my two 8 year old girls today from hibernation as been 10 weeks. I checked on the all the time - box style in our outer house away from harm)
I put them both at room temperature, Bella woke up and was being her usually nosey self ? I gave her a bath and she is now eating under her light . Alice hadn’t woke yet ? no movement either. Her head is in her shell and her legs out . They are not limp and floppy , stiff and showing resistance by not moving ? Her eyes are shut , not sunken and no funny smells . i have tried a warm bath and she is now in the corner of her box under the heat lamp (not directly on her) still no sign of life - am worried ?

KS25

Norfolk, England
Please could I ask for some advise - I have woke my two 8 year old girls today from hibernation as been 10 weeks. I checked on the all the time - box style in our outer house away from harm)
I put them both at room temperature, Bella woke up and was being her usually nosey self ? I gave her a bath and she is now eating under her light . Alice hadn’t woke yet ? no movement either. Her head is in her shell and her legs out . They are not limp and floppy , stiff and showing resistance by not moving ? Her eyes are shut , not sunken and no funny smells . i have tried a warm bath and she is now in the corner of her box under the heat lamp (not directly on her) still no sign of life - am worried ?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
If she's been warmed up for a while and still is unresponsive I would highly suggest a vet check. This could save your tortoises life and will be worth the money if there is a serious issue. I hope she's okay, best of luck!!

Cmistretta1

Prairieville, LA
That’s so terrible. Anything new now? I hope she is ok ....

Sa Ga

MN
Ugh, that's why I was so afraid to brumate my tort. I'd worry about her the whole time and be just heart sick if she didn't wake up.

Because Morla ended up being diagnosed w/ chronic kidney disease about a month after I adopted her,I can't brumate her safely (it is very hard on the kidneys bc of the long period of dehydration). The vet said there are no ill effects NOT doing so anyway, so if you don't choose to do it again, it's ok.

I hope your baby pulls thru. Please keep us posted!

KS25

Norfolk, England
Oh no! Hoping for the best for your tort! Any improvment?
Thank you so much for messsge , Alice didn’t wake from her sleep - confirmed by a lovely vet . My son is so upset as Alice was such a character - unique ! She would chase you around the garden and share a grape in the sunshine . Thank you for your message x I wish I never hibernated her I really do - I have Bella her sister who woke and is perfect after her sleep which makes it harder to accept . Thank you again

Sa Ga

MN
I'm so deeply sorry for your loss. I fully understand your heartache. They're amazing creatures that just steal your heart!

My love goes out to you and your son. May you find peace and don't blame yourself. Sadly, these things happen.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hate when that happens. It makes you wonder how often this happens to wild tortoises in their native habitat. My condolences to you and your son. Very hard thing to have to go through.