Walkers First Snow Day This Winter

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
We got a little snow yesterday, Walker stayed in his house while it snowed. Not today though, he was out at noon for his romp around the yard. Picture 003.jpg I put some food out for him under the umbrella and he was joined by his best bud Rocket.Picture 008.jpgHe went wandering through the snow for a whilePicture 010.jpgThen after a bit I went back out and he spotted me and started towards me Picture 019.jpgBut he stopped at a cactus feeding station and looked at me like where is the food. I had already fed him some pads by hand. I went inside and got another pad and set it on the post and he was satisfied. While out he also ate some mazuri,a little hay, and drank just almost a half gallon of water.Picture 029.jpgAfter playing in the snow for an hour and a half he went back into his house to warm up.

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 43

daniellenc

Maryland
OMG I love this!!! The snow missed us thank goodness but Walker looks like he likes it out there, lol.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nice update Len!

Danielle gave you an update on our “no snow” event...strange the way the storm went straight across dumping a ton down South, not a flake up here.

Walker looks great! Nice to see him out tooling around. He has you well trained.

Nice cactus feeding station too.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
We got a little snow yesterday, Walker stayed in his house while it snowed. Not today though, he was out at noon for his romp around the yard. View attachment 259299 I put some food out for him under the umbrella and he was joined by his best bud Rocket.View attachment 259300He went wandering through the snow for a whileView attachment 259302Then after a bit I went back out and he spotted me and started towards me View attachment 259304But he stopped at a cactus feeding station and looked at me like where is the food. I had already fed him some pads by hand. I went inside and got another pad and set it on the post and he was satisfied. While out he also ate some mazuri,a little hay, and drank just almost a half gallon of water.View attachment 259305After playing in the snow for an hour and a half he went back into his house to warm up.

Fantastic!

Thanks for the pictures.

Jamie

Melis

Maryland
Nice update Len!

Danielle gave you an update on our “no snow” event...strange the way the storm went straight across dumping a ton down South, not a flake up here.

Walker looks great! Nice to see him out tooling around. He has you well trained.

I was thankful to be up north too!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
After playing in the snow for an hour and a half he went back into his house to warm up.

I’m in the PNW so y’all are getting the rain we had. Here’s an old picture of my old place and one of my sulcatas checking out his first snow. The date is in one of the corners. He made a lap, thought about the food in that warm house and headed back in. IMG_1196.jpg

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I’m in the PNW so y’all are getting the rain we had. Here’s an old picture of my old place and one of my sulcatas checking out his first snow. The date is in one of the corners. He made a lap, thought about the food in that warm house and headed back in. View attachment 259331
I don't know how they tolerate it. 5 minutes shoveling the driveway and I'm done for.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Nice update Len!

Thanks, During warmer weather I sometimes stack several pads on top of each other so he can eat reaching up instead of down to the ground all the time. During winter I usually just feed him pads by hand.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I got Walker as a hatchling in 1996. The last time I was able to get an accurate straight line measurement he was 30 inches. He's heavy but I have no way to weigh him to get an accurate weight.
Mizcreant to the rescue! Weighs up to 1000 lbs. Might have to take out a 2nd mortgage for it though. Lol
BarSmartLiftInUse_C5203DDE8B5D1.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I got Walker as a hatchling in 1996. The last time I was able to get an accurate straight line measurement he was 30 inches. He's heavy but I have no way to weigh him to get an accurate weight.
Well...you could get a bathroom scale. Put a big piece of plywood on it, after cutting a hole to be able to see the lbs...then just convince him to stand on it. Easy peasy! Or go the @Mizcreant method. Or take him to the local hospital and borrow their laundry room scale for a few minutes. Any of these fine ideas would work.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
When I want to act all big and strong I suggest he weighs in at about 50lbs.
I helped my friend take her sully, Boulder, to the vet. He's 82 lbs. You should have seen us old gals getting him into my car! It's really good that he was cooperative!
20181212_225650.jpeg