Walkers Winter Pics

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This is how Walker spent some of the first day of winter (the shortest daylight day of the year)Picture 001.jpg Picture 004.jpg Picture 006.jpgHe does the same thing everyday, wanders around grazing on what few weeds are there, eating the dry fallen maple leaves and what ever I offer him. At least one cactus pad a day, he wanted two pads today though, He usually drinks from one of his water bowls before heading back inside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's showing some pretty strong growth lines, which is surprising for his size. Can you weigh him for us?

Len B

10 Year Member!
He's showing some pretty strong growth lines, which is surprising for his size. Can you weigh him for us?
i don't have a scale that I could use to get a correct weight. A nephew stopped by a couple months ago and used my regular house scale that maxes out at 260 pounds and tried to stand on the scale and pick Walker up and he got him up for a second and the scale maxed out at 260 with both on it. I don't remember how much my nephew weighed though. I just say he's over a 100 pounds.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put a little square of plywood on the house scale, then position an upside down 5 gallon bucket on the plywood. Put Walker on the bucket. That's how I weigh my bigguns'.

Len B

10 Year Member!
We lost power last night at 10 PM due to a transformer failure.When Walkers house temps dropped into the 70s a little after midnight I started a generator and he had heat again.The air temp outside was right at freezing. I have everything set up for emergencies like this so it's really just an inconvenience and not a big deal.The power was restored about 3 AM. This is the reason I went with 6 inch insulated walls instead of 4 inch, They hold heat in for a longer time with the extra insulation. Today we hit 50 degrees and Walker didn't venture out until a little after 4 and was back inside just before 5. He ate a lot and covered a lot of ground in the short time he was out.Picture 001 copy.jpg Picture 010 copy.jpg Picture 017 copy.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
We haven't had much winter weather yet, Today we got up to around 70 F.with showers off and on. Usually this time of year winter weather has already arrived and I start giving Walker cabbage as part of his winter diet. I went ahead and put 2 full heads out Saturday and he had finished those this morning so I put another one out today.Picture 002.jpg Picture 003.jpg During the winter months when feeding more store bought foods he also has a unlimited supply of cuttle bones.Picture 005.jpg Picture 007.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Finally got an accurate weight of Walker today, 135 pounds. Still no real winter weather to talk about. here he is munching some chickweed after his weigh in.Picture 010.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
We still haven't had any harsh winter weather yet. We got some of that arctic air starting Friday and the temperature dropped down to 25 F this morning and we only got to the upper 30s today. Walker came out to eat at 4 PM and after getting his fill went back in for the night. Picture 3 2 15 2020.jpgPicture 2 2 15 2020.jpgPicture 1 2 15 2020.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Another nice day here at the Beach, in the low 60s. I decided to not feed him his cactus pad by hand and put it on the cactus feeder. it didn't take him long to spot it.Picture 003 2 18 2020.jpgPicture 004 2 18 2020.jpgPicture 005 2 18 2020.jpgPicture 007 copy.jpgHe finished it in less than 2 minutes and than set there and stared like wheres the rest.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Him and me both. The week before last I was cutting my mulberry trees back and then went to cut the banana plants back which are still standing tall. They are usually all fallen over this time of year. After cutting a couple I noticed the centers were still green so I quit cutting. Today I noticed that the cut ones had sprouted up about 2 inches in the center.

Sa Ga

MN
Finally got an accurate weight of Walker today, 135 pounds. Still no real winter weather to talk about. here he is munching some chickweed after his weigh in.View attachment 284838
I just want to rub the top of his giant head! What a cutie!!! ❤❤❤❤

How do you move him around at 135 lbs? How old is he? Is he friendly? Does he get mad/bite?

I'm fascinated by these gentle (mostly?) giants....but living in MN, it would be difficult to keep him happy cooped up 7. Months of the year.

Last edited:

Sa Ga

MN
We lost power last night at 10 PM due to a transformer failure.When Walkers house temps dropped into the 70s a little after midnight I started a generator and he had heat again.The air temp outside was right at freezing. I have everything set up for emergencies like this so it's really just an inconvenience and not a big deal.The power was restored about 3 AM. This is the reason I went with 6 inch insulated walls instead of 4 inch, They hold heat in for a longer time with the extra insulation. Today we hit 50 degrees and Walker didn't venture out until a little after 4 and was back inside just before 5. He ate a lot and covered a lot of ground in the short time he was out.View attachment 284132 View attachment 284133 View attachment 284134
You sound like an outstanding tortie mom! ?❤