Walking question

Patty2402

Location (City and/or State)
Lynwood
Hello my tortoise was treated for RI with injections for 2 weeks. I noticed about a week and a half in, it started walking funny. I brought it up to the vet and was told it is sore from injection site. It's been over a week now since the last injection and is still walking funny. It doesn't really lift its right front leg, just kinda drags it now. It's still small about the size of my palm but I'm worried as it gets bigger if it stays like this would it be able to handle its weight?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Likely it will get better and go back to normal. Tortoises heal slowly like everything else they do. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't get worse and if any more injections are needed, I would not let them do it in the same leg. I would tell them to alternate

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello my tortoise was treated for RI with injections for 2 weeks. I noticed about a week and a half in, it started walking funny. I brought it up to the vet and was told it is sore from injection site. It's been over a week now since the last injection and is still walking funny. It doesn't really lift its right front leg, just kinda drags it now. It's still small about the size of my palm but I'm worried as it gets bigger if it stays like this would it be able to handle its weight?
What was the tortoise injected with? Most vets are ignorant and still use Baytril. Baytril is highly caustic and causes chemical burns at the injection site.

Did the vet do anything to address and correct the CAUSE of the RI? Tortoises get sick for a reason, and there is absolutely no point in treating the symptoms without correcting the cause.

What species and size tortoise are we talking about? Lynwood CA? How are you housing it?

Here is a good introductory thread for you:

Patty2402

Lynwood
What was the tortoise injected with? Most vets are ignorant and still use Baytril. Baytril is highly caustic and causes chemical burns at the injection site.

Did the vet do anything to address and correct the CAUSE of the RI? Tortoises get sick for a reason, and there is absolutely no point in treating the symptoms without correcting the cause.

What species and size tortoise are we talking about? Lynwood CA? How are you housing it?

Here is a good introductory thread for you:
It is a sulcata tortoise the size of my palm. Vet said it could have had RI since we got it from a pet store. We have not had it very long. We went over it's enclosure, Temps, diet, humidity and substrate. It is indoors 23hrs and I let it walk all around the yard for an hour a day except when it rains which is not often in CA. It is in a wood box we made. It was injected with enrofloxacin. Thank you for the info.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is a sulcata tortoise the size of my palm. Vet said it could have had RI since we got it from a pet store. We have not had it very long. We went over it's enclosure, Temps, diet, humidity and substrate. It is indoors 23hrs and I let it walk all around the yard for an hour a day except when it rains which is not often in CA. It is in a wood box we made. It was injected with enrofloxacin. Thank you for the info.
Baytril is the brand name of enroflaxin. Your tortoise's leg has been damaged. Its like injecting bleach into the muscle. You are seeing the effects right there in front of you.

Tortoises usually get an RI because night temps are too cool. It is impossible to keep the correct temperatures and humidity for a sulcata in an open topped wooden box. What is your over night low temp, and how are you maintaining that temperature?

If you let us, we will help you get your tortoise on the right track. Start with that thread I linked. It will explain a lot of what is going on.

Patty2402

Lynwood
Baytril is the brand name of enroflaxin. Your tortoise's leg has been damaged. Its like injecting bleach into the muscle. You are seeing the effects right there in front of you.

Tortoises usually get an RI because night temps are too cool. It is impossible to keep the correct temperatures and humidity for a sulcata in an open topped wooden box. What is your over night low temp, and how are you maintaining that temperature?

If you let us, we will help you get your tortoise on the right track. Start with that thread I linked. It will explain a lot of what is going on.
Oh no! It is enclosed now with plexi glass over the screen except where lights are. At night it just has repticare ceramic infrared heat emitter right now its currently 89* with just the heater. Just finished reading the thread.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Tammy knows.......you are in very good hands Patty....

Sorry to WTTC under bad conditions, hopefully your little guy will squash this and grow faster than you can keep up!

Best luck,

jeff