Walking Riley down the road. 4.7 years old

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My sister used to do this with her sulcata, Bob. It's a great way to exercise a tortoise, but bear in mind that once he has experienced there's more to the world outside his fence, he's not going to be happy being contained inside the fence anymore.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice sully. Have you seen the video of the Asian man that walks his sully around the block I think every week or every day. He brings snacks for those times the sully doesn't want too go the way he's suppose too. It's not a big block but takes them a couple hours. It's too cute.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Nice sully. Have you seen the video of the Asian man that walks his sully around the block I think every week or every day. He brings snacks for those times the sully doesn't want too go the way he's suppose too. It's not a big block but takes them a couple hours. It's too cute.

Yes! It's a great video. Such a beautiful tortoise as well.

IMG_5046.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In your pic he is eating whatever is on the ground in front of him. This is why I don't recommend this practice. If you are going to do it anyway, make sure he doesn't eat anything while you are out. Contrary to what some people think and type on the Internet, they can and will eat things that will kill them. Happens all the time.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I believe member @Gillian Moore goes for walks with her tortoise.
She's in Jordan.
Apparently pet tortoises there are EXTRA unusual.
Nice to see at any rate.
I have never seen anyone walking a tortoise myself.
Yes I do, Ed.

And both Oli and I enjoy it. But on the other hand, what @Yvonne G mentioned is definitely true: when a tort gets used to roaming around as he/she pleases, it'll annoy/irritate him/her to return to that "horrible" enclosure, no matter how large, warm, and nice it is.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes I do, Ed.

And both Oli and I enjoy it. But on the other hand, what @Yvonne G mentioned is definitely true: when a tort gets used to roaming around as he/she pleases, it'll annoy/irritate him/her to return to that "horrible" enclosure, no matter how large, warm, and nice it is.
It does make a lot of sense.