Walking your tortoise?

akina

Location (City and/or State)
nicasio california
Hello! I have 1 Hermanns tortoise, named Sheldon. He's a really energetic tortoise who loves exploring. On nice days I'll take him for little tortoise hikes so he can see and smell new things. I'm wondering if anyone else does this. Thanks!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello! I have 1 Hermanns tortoise, named Sheldon. He's a really energetic tortoise who loves exploring. On nice days I'll take him for little tortoise hikes so he can see and smell new things. I'm wondering if anyone else does this. Thanks!
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

We did have a couple people who took their tortoise for walks. It's a very tempting thought.

However, there are so many dangers doing that. Torts eat everything, and could grab a bite of something toxic, like a poisonous plant or chemically treated grass.

A dog can show up out of nowhere and grab your tort and run.

If you get distracted for an instant, he can be gone.

You are teaching Sheldon that a big world is out there, and he will try harder to escape his outdoor enclosure.

So we discourage walking because it's so unsafe.

We'd love to see pictures of Sheldon and his enclosure. Tell us about him...how long you've had him, where you got him, etc.

We love talking about torts!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

I don't think this is a good idea because it gives them a taste for the great outdoors and makes them want to try to escape their yard.

akina

nicasio california
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

We did have a couple people who took their tortoise for walks. It's a very tempting thought.

However, there are so many dangers doing that. Torts eat everything, and could grab a bite of something toxic, like a poisonous plant or chemically treated grass.

A dog can show up out of nowhere and grab your tort and run.

If you get distracted for an instant, he can be gone.

You are teaching Sheldon that a big world is out there, and he will try harder to escape his outdoor enclosure.

So we discourage walking because it's so unsafe.

We'd love to see pictures of Sheldon and his enclosure. Tell us about him...how long you've had him, where you got him, etc.

We love talking about torts!
Thanks! Right now I'm re doing his outdoor enclosure to make it more interesting for him and have him live outside full time.

Tortius Decimus

5 Year Member
Colorado
I also take my tortoises on outings during nice days, as they are active boys that enjoy the exercise and mental stimulation. I am very selective however as to where I take them to do said exploration. I take mine to local parks that I have confirmed in advance do not use any kind of treatment on their grass, weeds, plants, etc. I make sure the plants they have access to are safe for foraging. For their safety, they do not "walk" anywhere there are off-leash or leashed dogs, as the dog could get loose. They do not "walk" where people frequent so they don't get trampled. And my boys usually are heading in different directions at some point so they are supervised closely by myself and my son so that we do not loose sight of where either has gone. Definitely takes planning to do it safely.

akina

nicasio california
I also take my tortoises on outings during nice days, as they are active boys that enjoy the exercise and mental stimulation. I am very selective however as to where I take them to do said exploration. I take mine to local parks that I have confirmed in advance do not use any kind of treatment on their grass, weeds, plants, etc. I make sure the plants they have access to are safe for foraging. For their safety, they do not "walk" anywhere there are off-leash or leashed dogs, as the dog could get loose. They do not "walk" where people frequent so they don't get trampled. And my boys usually are heading in different directions at some point so they are supervised closely by myself and my son so that we do not loose sight of where either has gone. Definitely takes planning to do it safely.
that's a good idea! Luckily Im able to walk him on my own land so there's no dogs, even then it still takes a lot of concentration. He can blend into everything!