walmart grow light

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
so i was just curious i ran into these relatively inexpensive fluorescent plant/grow lights at walmart last night i was wondering if anyone on here use's something like these or similar to help keep plant's alive in the indoors enclosure and if so does it work?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Indoors plants need very bright lights to grow properly. If the light is advertised for plants, it probably works pretty good. You have to pay attention to how high above the plants you position the light.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
thanks for the advise everyone i think i'll try it its only 10 dollars and i'm tired of my plants dyin! lol

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Are you talking about compact fluorescents? If so, you definitely can grow plants indoors with them, but I wouldn't use them in a tort enclosure. If you tell me your enclosure setup, types of plants and how you care for them, I might be able to help.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Are you talking about compact fluorescents? If so, you definitely can grow plants indoors with them, but I wouldn't use them in a tort enclosure. If you tell me your enclosure setup, types of plants and how you care for them, I might be able to help.

it's a tube fluorescent if that means anything, why wouldn't you use them in the enclosure? my closed chamber is 6x3 2 che's ambient temp of 84 tube uvb with coconut coir substrate humidity is always around 85% the temp never drops below 82 and never rises above 87 on the hot side, i have no live plants right now they died..... i have a couple fake spider plant's and a couple fake ferns i'll be adding more soon but would like to add live plants i had 2 real spider plants that died

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Tube fluorescents are fine to use in an enclosure. Spider plants should do well in your setup. They can take a good deal of neglect but they're a little fussy with water. I always treat my water since spider plants are a bit sensitive to fluoride. How large were the plants and how often did you water them?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Tube fluorescents are fine to use in an enclosure. Spider plants should do well in your setup. They can take a good deal of neglect but they're a little fussy with water. I always treat my water since spider plants are a bit sensitive to fluoride. How large were the plants and how often did you water them?

they weren't huge but they weren't small either if that makes sense? (i'm not a plant person/plant smart lol)
i would water then about once maybe every 2 weeks when the soil was dry they were in pots buried in soil, would it be possible to plant them straight in the soil? or would pots be a smarter choice?

i was thinking about adding some wheatgrass to the enclosure as well because amazingly my redfoot eats it i found organic seeds online i'd like to just throw in there

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
In my experience, well established plants can take a lot more punishment. Plus, smaller plants either get uprooted or stomped on by insensitive tortoises. I spray my enclosure daily and so all my plants are well watered on a daily basis. With coco coir, you shouldn't really be able to drown or over water your plants unless they're in standing water. You can plant straight into coco coir or keep them in pots. And as for planting wheatgrass, go for it. Just know that if you don't section it off, the torts might not give it a chance to grow :p

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
In my experience, well established plants can take a lot more punishment. Plus, smaller plants either get uprooted or stomped on by insensitive tortoises. I spray my enclosure daily and so all my plants are well watered on a daily basis. With coco coir, you shouldn't really be able to drown or over water your plants unless they're in standing water. You can plant straight into coco coir or keep them in pots. And as for planting wheatgrass, go for it. Just know that if you don't section it off, the torts might not give it a chance to grow :p

i'm getting ready to build a new enclosure i'd let it all get established before the tort went into it lol i'm going to add a foot of width for some reason it seems awkwardly narrow to me lol it's for a single redfoot hatchling still so it will be ok for a bit sooner or later tho i'm going to build a HUGE L shaped enclosure just gotta save up for how i wanna do it lol