Wang Dang sweet planicauda

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
I'm starting to see why everyone wants those!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is it yours, Will?

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
I'm seeing it's tough to go wrong with these laid back little tortoises that don't try to bite eyes out!

So how are those forstenii?!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nice tortoise, even nicer thread title.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
So true, Will. Do you mind sharing what plants you're using for your enclosure? For some reason, I can't get the larger versions of your photos on my Mac.

If anyone is wondering, I use Spider Plants, sanserveria, Aloe, crassula (Jade), Opuntia, Holiday Cactus, and Sedum in my Pyxis enclosures. All have been great for me. I also plant wild bird seed.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Recall planicauda are open forest gallery torts with seasonal closed gallery when the trees leaf out. At least that's what the books say and primate folks I've spoken to - who have been there looking at lemurs. Lots of leaf litter on the ground with a concurrent flora of small leaf decomposing insects and "bugs". I've seeded with many nasturtium and potted plants are catnip, St Augustine grass, and purple leaf wandering jew. I've added large purple isopods, they are large enough to eat fruit fly larvae. I noticed they like to eat a little cat nip here and there but don't eat it to the roots. I will try some lemon cucumber as well as it stays smallish and vines around. When I tried that with pancakes once they sorted out it was edible, they ate it to the ground. I might try a spider plant that's a good idea.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Well a brief narrative update on their eating behavior. They eat so much more, ounce for ounce than the pancakes. I sorta think they are teenage animals with hollow legs. The purple wandering jew is nearly gone. I local friend, @keepergale brought the great gift of 'regular' green wandering Jew and they really like it. So far the nasturtium has not been touched. They pick and choose what part of squash blossoms to eat, leaving random bits untouched. They are no fan of the romaine/escarole foundation for the pancake diet, but make due with it if that is what's to eat. They go much more for the squash/ochra heavy mix that the forstenii get (without the small amount of cat food in it). All are showing good growth and weight gain. They leave their water alone for several days at a time, then one day it's a feces madhouse. No ryhme or reason to much of their activity.