Wanna know what REALLY grinds my gears??

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Az
bobbymoore said:
i was at a reptile expo here in canada and theres a place called little RES Q and they had this turtle there and it has been kept in a 5L pail its whole life heres a pic and the one with the zip tie around it is horrable also a pic

Good Lord! That is aweful! Poor little turtles :(:(:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hope that after the picture they clipped off that zip tie. And what a huge RES!!! If it were normal, can you imagine how LARGE it would be?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
bobbymoore said:
i was at a reptile expo here in canada and theres a place called little RES Q and they had this turtle there and it has been kept in a 5L pail its whole life heres a pic and the one with the zip tie around it is horrable also a pic

Those are horrible images, but they work very well at making a point and keeping it in your mind for a long long time.

Ever wonder how human can be a part of humane?

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Tucson, Az
Jacqui said:
Ever wonder how human can be a part of humane?

I often wonder where that term came from... Humans are (as far as I am aware) the only creatures on Earth that are intentionally inhumane towards each other and other animals.

B

byerssusan

I did research before I got my little Sulcata..A little.But I already knew she was going to be in our family for many years to come. .I guess I was lucky because I did buy her from Craigs list and the owner told me everything he could about them before I bought one. Even showed me his set up for the huge ones he had in his back yard. I know what your saying about people buying animals of any kind before they research them and know exactly what they are getting in to. So many ignorant people out there. So many animals end up getting mistreated.Some intentionally and so many not intentionally.

M

Maggie Cummings

I had my sister's experience to go on. She taught me about turtles and tortoises before I ever got any. Then before I knew it I had 50 or so! Can you imagine? I lived in a mobile home with a 2 pet limit and a very small yard with little grass. I had 2 huge 300 gallons or so of tubs on my deck full of water turtles. But she saw it happening and helped me adopt some out. Then she brought me a 5 year old Sulcata and said she didn't have room for it right now and would I keep it for a couple of weeks...that was 8 years ago. It was a serious education to me on raising a Sulcata. I really didn't have room enough for him so I adopted out a couple more animals and made more room for Bob. I set him up in the small yard and kept him in the house at night. He was 8 years old and 35 pounds when I moved to Oregon. I brought over 200 cinder blocks with me when I moved and they separated the now big yard into thirds. For Bob. I can't tell you how important he is to me, and the things I do to keep him that I shouldn't.
But what I wanted to say is even tho I was educated about them I still was not prepared for the cost of his care. $900 to redo a shed so it was insulated and warm. Safe for him now the walls are made of plywood. His fence cost $800, then $200 more after it became apparent that he could climb stairs and escape...what I am trying to say is even if you know how to care for them you are just not prepared for the cost of doing it.

My bi*ch is the people who have a tortoise or turtle that gets sick and they either can't afford to pay for it's Vet care or they just won't and they turn it into the local rescue. I became a rescue when I moved to Oregon. I had seen it before with my sister but now people were giving ME sick tortoises and I had to pay for their care with MY Social Security check. I now have a large Vet bill that I am having a hard time paying and have to refuse to take anymore animals. And that breaks my heart. I know when I tell someone that I can't or won't take their sick tortoise that the tort is going to die. But I can't pay for it anymore. I saw my sister do it for years, and she still does it. So rather than the Sulcata people who don't do any research, for me it's the people who get a tortoise without any money put aside in case they have to go to the vet. We see that all the time here on TFO, teenagers who get that cute Sulcata and it always gets sick because the parents won't buy the necessary equipment. No UVB etc. So now we have a sick baby with some teenager asking for our help. Then the animal dies and THEY GET ANOTHER ONE! Holy sh*t. It makes me crazy. Turtles and tortoises are throw away animals. Most people don't take them to the vet, they give them to me or somebody like me, and *I* take them to the Vet using my SS money, and *I* am the one who cries over them when they die. And most people wait until the animal is really sick with little chance of recovery. My back yard is full of small graves. Well, I was in a good mood until I started this...I'm outa here....

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Well, Brandon, I'm giving myself a GOLD STAR because when I first decided to get a tortoise I really wanted a sulcata. I was atracted by the eventual size, the personality and the cute little baby faces. I tried projecting myself and my tortoise into the future, and it occurred to me that when my tort reached that massive size I wouldn't be able to pick it up even in my current condition, much less when I am older. So I went with a Hermanns instead. Cute little face, plenty of personality, and a much smaller maximum size:)

People who get puppies, keep them to 6 months, then dump them at a shelter and go get another puppy really irk me. A friend of mine got a beautiful border collie/St. Bernard puppy for free and took him home to her 3 boys. When the pup hit 120 pounds after having been allowed to do whatever he wanted with those 3 boys, they gave him up to a very nice herding dog rescue and replaced him with a lab puppy. So now the poor big guy is wondering what happened, trying to learn some manners..... just all very sad:(

Tiger Cowboy

5 Year Member
Birmingham, AL
Jacqui said:
:rolleyes: Forgot to add a few of my own thoughts...

A lot of people can be told something will get 100 lbs or 12" or whatever measuring device and size you want to use, but we can not fully visualize it. We tend not to be able to mentally "see" what for instance that 12" is like. We don't even consider for a moment, when looking at a hatchling how much manure and urine an adult can put out. Feeding a little leaf of lettuce is such an ahhh moment, but we failed to think what it will be like to pay for the food bill on an adult.

This +1. Even worse with iguanas, retics, burms, and the large monitors. They are cheap and easy to acquire and nobody ever seems to mention that they grow up to be big and can grow up with a heck of an attitude.

B

byerssusan

bobbymoore said:

Wow..I am just sitting here shaking my head. How could anyone do this ?

B

byerssusan

Agree with Tom 100% It's like when I read the first post..It made me want to make signs , hold a protest haha.. Do something ..I know it makes one feel better getting things off their chest. I do the same thing..we all do.. But putting action behind our words is the most powerful thing we can do. It might not save all. But if one is saved it's better than none.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am upset now thinking about Maggie and Yvonne spending their SS $s to save neglected torts. Do you get donations or grants. I am really sad now. First I had the picture in my head of the poor RES now I am picturing elderly women eatting Top Ramen. I need to find a happy thread.....

B

byerssusan

Angi said:
I am upset now thinking about Maggie and Yvonne spending their SS $s to save neglected torts. Do you get donations or grants. I am really sad now. First I had the picture in my head of the poor RES now I am picturing elderly women eatting Top Ramen. I need to find a happy thread.....

Hmm why be upset over them spending their money to save neglected torts? The way I see it is everyone here is here for a reason..we may never know what that reason is. But we do serve a purpose. If everything happens for a reason as I believe... then what they are doing is in their lifes path. They are meant to do this. I don't like seeing anyone nor anything suffer because of any reason but this is a self chosen reason. I commend them on their efforts. Though I do disagree about having to make sure you have to have money put back in case of vet bills when buy your tort. That was the last thing on my mind when buying mine. As far as so much money being spent on wood and the like to build enclosures..There are people who give these items away..Heck we were given a gazebo for free on craigslist.And Many more items. If there is a will there is always a way. And if you want to take on such a journey then do what needs to be done however you have to do it. Apparently if you do take it on ..you want to do it. So why complain? I don't know..just some thoughts from my rambling brain ..

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Everyone here is so cool. It is so awesome to finally be on the same page with people who think/act/fell the same ways I do. I would love more than anything to promote the proper care of turts and torts. I would like to promote the proper care of any animal. It seems like people are so gung ho to help out and put out signs and every other thing, but I feel like my voice is lost in the riptide. I can scream until my vocal cords start bleeding, but it seems like everyone turns the other way and does whatever the hell they want anyway. How many years have we been fighting the breed ban legislation in different states and countries on certain dog breeds? It seems the more you fight, the harder it gets, and the more people don't listen. Here's a little story: I'm a vegetarian. I chose to make that life choice by myself because of the way "food" animals are mostly inhumanely treated. What I DON"T agree with is idiot groups like PETA who are so intensely bias about the subject that they shove this crap down other people's throats, make them super mad, and as an end result end up making the fight worse. Instead of making a few little social groups to get the word out, and help people get on the right track, there always has to be some moron who stands up and takes WAY further than it ever had to go. I wish there was a way for people to WANT to provide the RIGHT care for ANY animal. Like a license they had to apply for before obtaining the animal. Humans are just a moron species as it is. The more things that are governed, the more we feel the need to do horrible things. Unfortunately, I don't think things will change anytime soon. And history had proven that. King JR, Gandhi, the list can go on and on and on. What did it end up with? I'm sorry my fellow tort/turt/any animal lovers, I think we are making a small step toward our goal, but it appears like a monstrous hurricane is sweeping us away, and our voices are slowly being drowned out by modern-day-lazy-person-not-give-a-big-damn-about-anything-but-myself type of people. And there is no National Guard to save OUR hides.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
When I say upset or sad I am not judging or mad. I know these ladies are caring people that give so much to their pets and others that need help.They even give their time to advise others, like me. I am glad people like them exist. It does make me feel bad that Maggie is in dept (I think that is what she said) over vet bills. But I am sure her life is fuller than many, because of the love she has for her pets. I think what she was complaining about was other people not taking care of their pets or their pets bills and her spending money because she doesn't want to see them sufer. I don't believe that everything is meant to be. That is just my thoughts. Sorry for going O/T, but while I am O/T I agree with you Brandon about your thoughts on being a vegitarian ( even though I am not one) another thing to think about is how unhealthy the meat is because of the treatment of the animals and the drugs used on them.

B

byerssusan

she was complaining about was other people not taking care of their pets or their pets bills and her spending money because she doesn't want to see them sufer. I don't believe that everything is meant to be. That is just my thoughts.

Yeah I see what your saying. I just don't understand why someone would complain about it ..if they are doing it..It means they want to do it. She doesn't have too. But does it for the love of a wonderful creature. I do believe everything happens for a reason. even the bad things ..There are lessons for each and every one of us.But, this is getting on another subject *S*..Everyone has the right to believe as they will. Any ole way..

Status
Not open for further replies.