Wanna know what REALLY grinds my gears??

Status
Not open for further replies.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
You know what I am SO sick and tired of reading? "can't take care of my sulcata, need new home"... They are like the fricken pit bull of the tortoise world!!! I just can't stand when people buy animals on a whim with NO research at all. it is one thing to buy it THAN get home and check out TFO or something, but completely different when they have a little sulcata that one day doesn't fit in the 20 gallon aquarium with a exo terra fricken 40W day bulb over it! They wake up on morning like "oh crap, my little baby weighs 200 pounds, can't take care of it anymore". MAN it ticks me off!! That goes for any animal, DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!! It takes three seconds to type in "basic, whatever tortoise you are deciding on buying, care" in a search engine. Learn whether or not you have to remodel your master bathroom into an aldabra tortoise enclosure BEFORE you bring him home, not when the sides of his shell start busting through your little homemade enclosure. I wish this thread was at the top of every states craigslist pet post.

I do not intentionally mean to start things with anybody, as I also realize that sometimes peoples lives can change where they are absolutely no longer able to properly care for the animal in their care. This was a simple rant directed toward the many impulsive not-very-responsible people out there. I also intentionally posted this thread under "debates" because I understand people may have some good arguments, or other things to throw on the wagon, and I figured it was a good place to post. Thank you all for listening. I feel a little better :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! You've gone from "pictures of fall in Vermont" to ground gears! Are you feeling a little bi-polar this morning? :p

The Vermont picture was beautiful!

The tortoise problems gets to me also. I wish people would do their research first, but they usually don't. Almost every sulcata that comes to my rescue comes from a family that knew nothing about them when they got the tortoise. However, it doesn't do much good to rant about it here (except to get it off your chest) because most everyone here is doing or has done research. How do we reach those folks who DON'T belong to a forum? That's the question.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
emysemys said:
Wow! You've gone from "pictures of fall in Vermont" to ground gears! Are you feeling a little bi-polar this morning? :p

The Vermont picture was beautiful!

The tortoise problems gets to me also. I wish people would do their research first, but they usually don't. Almost every sulcata that comes to my rescue comes from a family that knew nothing about them when they got the tortoise. However, it doesn't do much good to rant about it here (except to get it off your chest) because most everyone here is doing or has done research. How do we reach those folks who DON'T belong to a forum? That's the question.

LOL, yes a bit bi polar :p I knew that everyone here is doing the right thing by being here, but it felt kind of good to get it out to people who actually understand the problem. i wish there was a way to get it out to people. I would put it on Craigslist, but i know it would get flagged, lol. the good people always lose I guess. Thanks for understanding though:D :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
A lot of times the person selling the sulcata doesn't tell the potential owner how big it will get or even how to properly care for it. I knew absolutly nothing about tortoise care when I got my Sulcata and the vender I purchased him from did not provide me with any information and the questions he did answer was not correct as I found out later, so he may have just been the middle man in the sale. But unlike some, I was excited when I found out what kind of tortoise I had and how big he was possibly going to get.

There was and still are a lot of conflicting information out there and it can get a bit overwelming for a new owner who was told that the care of that little sulcata was going to be easy and then to find out later that you have to spend a few hundred dollars to get the proper equipment to house and feed this new pet.

Now I am not saying that this is the case for everyone, but I do know that a lot of times people are sold Sulcata's and a 10 gallon reptile setup and are told thats all they need and it's not until they happen upon a forum like this and they discover that they may be in over there heads...

babylove6635

5 Year Member
totally understand, my neighbors kids seen my rt and they bought two sulcatas and didnt know what they even were. and they only have a red light on them i have tried to tell them what they need and it really bothers me that they are clueless and the y have them on pellets no humidy not even sure if they have a water dish and i give them food for them they are babies. i better go check on them tonight and make sure they have the info they need

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
dalano73 said:
A lot of times the person selling the sulcata doesn't tell the potential owner how big it will get or even how to properly care for it. I knew absolutly nothing about tortoise care when I got my Sulcata and the vender I purchased him from did not provide me with any information and the questions he did answer was not correct as I found out later, so he may have just been the middle man in the sale. But unlike some, I was excited when I found out what kind of tortoise I had and how big he was possibly going to get.

There was and still are a lot of conflicting information out there and it can get a bit overwelming for a new owner who was told that the care of that little sulcata was going to be easy and then to find out later that you have to spend a few hundred dollars to get the proper equipment to house and feed this new pet.

Now I am not saying that this is the case for everyone, but I do know that a lot of times people are sold Sulcata's and a 10 gallon reptile setup and are told thats all they need and it's not until they happen upon a forum like this and they discover that they may be in over there heads...

That's another HUGE issue going on, too. AND the fact that Sulcatas are possibly one of the cheapest species to get a hold of, people think they are a great beginner species that will stay small. This ignorance led with bad vendors, be it pet shop or breeder and mislead lies and information, will eventually turn to a much greater problem.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
And then you have all the folks who won't do any research and feed their desert tortoise lettuce and no water bowl because he lives in the desert and doesn't need it. Or better yet, keep it in a box because it doesn't do anything and feed it when it scratches on the sides...... :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Brandon, have you ever heard of "Preaching to the choir?" :D :D :D

I feel your pain man! I have spent the majority of my life trying to educate people on how to take proper care of their animals. I remember being 14 years old at my first pet shop job and having grown adults look at me dumbfounded when I told them that a potentially 12"+ goldfish has no business in a 1 gallon bowl with no filter or nothing... Don't even get me started on the the parrots or reptiles...

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
I would like to share your soapbox with you please!!!! I totally agree. I am really glad that the Rep Humane Soc I adopted my sulcata from put me through the ringer when I was trying to adopt my Sheldon. Sooooooo GLAD. It forced me to research and really KNOW what I was getting into. And in most cases know what is coming up prior to something actually happening. (Like when I got flashed for the first time-not something you can prepare for no matter how much you research!)

Well said!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
If you want a rant I got one....Red Eared Sliders. C/L is full of them. People buy the cute little baby and then don't want to clean the tank of a big turtle. I had a friend try to give me the turtle and set up because grandma thought it was a cute gift and didn't ask the parents if it was ok DUMB!!!!!!!!!

The Sulcata thing makes me mad to. I blame the sells too.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
UGH!!!! CRAIGSLIST! :mad: i cannot EXPLAIN my disgust for some of the ignorant morons that post on that site. Sometimes I wonder if they are even able to take care of themselves, much less another animal!!!

LOL Tom :D Yvonne said the same thing. I know this was kind of the wrong place to set up a rant, but jeez, I couldn't hold it anymore, haha.

And it goes far beyond space or "cage" requirements. When you buy/adopt/acquire any animal, tortoise or not, you are bound by invisible contract that states that you will provide every single thing that animal needs, at all times, no matter what. You need to be financially responsible, but also physically aware. Lights, temps, water, food. Birds and dogs need TONS of training, handling, affection and exercise. If you are buying fish you need to make up your damn mind on what type of damn tank it'll be. I wanna slap people in the face when I walk in their house and see these super beautiful angels and schools of tetras chilling with a GOLDFISH!! WTH?? And the turtle thing. "im just gonna throw this 10 inch slider in a 20 gallon Zilla starter with a black light for his basking spot." No basking dock, no weeds or grasses to hide in. Just a huge turtle in a small tank wth nothing to do but swim. Can't even rest his poor little legs and take a load off. Stupid people.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I have to agree, and I do admit that it annoys me when people use the excuse "I got the wrong information from the person I bought it from", too.

The idea that people only research in one location before buying a pet shocks me. Even more so if they just walk into a shop, say "How do I care for this tortoise?" and then walk out with one in a box.

I wouldn't even buy a pair of headphones without researching them in multiple places, never mind a live animal.

Like you, I don't mind if people have unexpected circumstance changes and simply can't cope, but getting into something without knowing what you're doing is a different matter completely.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I feel you on this, my 3+ year old rescue sulcata was kept in an aquarium for 3 years and wasn't put outside or feed the proper diet. She fits in my hand and has very bad pyramiding and MBD. No matter what information is out there, this problem will continue...

Everyone has to also remember that not everyone owns a computer, so they can't surf the net for answers. My mom just started using a computer 2 years ago and she still struggles with it..

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I totally agree. It makes me sad because I could not even imagine having to re-home any of my tortoises. The fact that is is so easy to just let these beautiful creatures go is what upset's me the most!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
cherylim said:
The idea that people only research in one location before buying a pet shocks me. Even more so if they just walk into a shop, say "How do I care for this tortoise?" and then walk out with one in a box.

I wouldn't even buy a pair of headphones without researching them in multiple places, never mind a live animal.

I need to start playing Devil's advocate at some point, so I am going to start by using your comments, okay? Nothing personal.

I think folks think the folks at Pet stores or Vets offices know what they are talking about, which sadly we know that's not true. The general public however does not realize this.

If I were going to buy a headphone, I would go to the local WalMart and just buy the cheapest one. No researching it for me, let alone checking out more then one place. :p A) I just don't care that much about something not too expensive that I consider replaceable. (Which is sadly how many think of their critters). B) I am just not the researching type.

dalano73 said:
Everyone has to also remember that not everyone owns a computer, so they can't surf the net for answers. My mom just started using a computer 2 years ago and she still struggles with it..

So glad somebody else realizes this. Many folks out there don't own a computer, much less are they comfortable enough to roam around looking for sites and information. I myself may use the computer a lot for tortoise and turtle related things, but honestly I often forget I can use it for other things in life. :rolleyes: Using a computer is just not natural for me.

Tom said:
Brandon, have you ever heard of "Preaching to the choir?" :D :D :D

If any of use ever really want to do more then just complain, there are lots of small things you can do. You may only change the life of one tortoise or turtle, but sometimes that is enough and it is a start.

Join forums and become an advocate for proper tortoise and turtle care. Learn all you can and spread all that information every where you go. For example many of the reptile forums, have no knowledgeable tortoise/turtle keepers on them to give the right information out.

Go public. Join local animal groups and get out there and promote the tortoises/turtles and their care. Give talks at local schools, youth groups, and any event or place where animal lovers will attend. Go to reptile shows and stand near the vendor of tortoises and see if they are giving correct information, if not you be brave and cut in with comments. Have printed information sheets to hand out with care, your personal contact information, and addresses for sites like this one.

Leave flyers with the offer to help any tortoise/turtle owner with their animals on pet store. vet offices, feed stores, any animal type location who has a board for posting things. Post the same thing in Craig list type places.

What I am saying is sure you feel better clearing your chest in here, but if you really want to feel good about yourself and help the animals become involved. Speak up for these animals.

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Tucson, Az
It totally bothers me when I see those too. Do some freakin research. You should know if you are able to provide a permanent home for a reptile before you go out and get it.

My local craigslist usually has a few sullys to be rehomed, but it is utterly littered with people trying to get rid of their red tail boas. Usually around the time they hit 4 or 5 feet and the owner realizes they're gonna need a custom built cage soon.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:rolleyes: Forgot to add a few of my own thoughts...

A lot of people can be told something will get 100 lbs or 12" or whatever measuring device and size you want to use, but we can not fully visualize it. We tend not to be able to mentally "see" what for instance that 12" is like. We don't even consider for a moment, when looking at a hatchling how much manure and urine an adult can put out. Feeding a little leaf of lettuce is such an ahhh moment, but we failed to think what it will be like to pay for the food bill on an adult.

About three years ago I guess it is now, I went to adopt from Dee in NJ two of her male sulcata. They were only teenagers, so what only 25-30 lbs or so.. Now I had read and yearned for a sulcata for years, barely escaping each time at a show when I saw a cute hatchling. I had saw adult sulcata before many times. So I should have been prepared right? I wasn't. When I saw the two boyz, I think I went into shock. The reality of what I was doing firmly struck me in the face. To be honest, I had momentary doubts as to what the heck I was getting into. :p

It is just so hard to look into the face of one of those sweet innocent little cute sulcata faces and fully understand what it will be like in a few short years.

We tend to think, "Oh it's okay, it's small now and by the time it gets bigger I will... (fill in this part with have a bigger enclosure built, have my own place, have moved to a bigger backyard, ect). Truth is life is a constant change and the future we envision for ourselves, most often never happens like we think and certainly not as quickly as we think it will.

For some who can visualize their adult size, we have the mentality of when it gets big.... I will just donate it to the local zoo or ...I will sell it for big money on Kingsnake and other places because look at how others are doing that right now... or I will just find somebody who is wanting one of these guys to adopt... or I will take it out to the desert/woods/park/country and just let it go free to live out the rest of it's life as a free wild animal.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
i was at a reptile expo here in canada and theres a place called little RES Q and they had this turtle there and it has been kept in a 5L pail its whole life heres a pic and the one with the zip tie around it is horrable also a pic

Attachments

• resq.jpg
    resq.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 55
  • wow.jpg
    wow.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 55
Status
Not open for further replies.