Want to rehome male sulcata tortoise, age 16/17

Mel1234

Location (City and/or State)
Minneapolis, MN
We're seeking a caring, lifelong home for our African spurred (sulcata) tortoise in a southern climate where he can live alone and outdoors much of the year and have plenty of room to roam in a warm, indoor habitat when it’s cold outside.

Torty is about 16/17 years old from the Minneapolis, Minnesota area. He's healthy, with no pyramiding on his shell, and an estimated 50 lbs. + 16"x14". He eats lettuce, grass and timothy grass, along with calcium supplements.

He has a good life with us, with full access to our large, fenced-in yard during the warmer months and a double-decker cage in a first-grade classroom during the school year. However, he's getting too big and distracting for the classroom and we don't have room for him in our house during the school year.

We're in no rush, and hope to find someone who's also willing to transport him to his new home in a southern state. If interested, please explain what his indoor and outdoor habitats would be like and share photos of the habitats. Thank you.

Torty1.jpg Torty2.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you looking to sell this tortoise or to adopt him out?

Mel1234

Minneapolis, MN
Rehome him. No money needs to exchange hands, unless it involves the cost of getting him from point A to point B. Thanks!

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
I'd take him and will pay for shipping. I'm in Elgin,SC. We have acres and the right setups. He would have is own pen and heated house. If you consider me I can provide all necessary pics. Thanks and good luck.

Mel1234

Minneapolis, MN
I'd take him and will pay for shipping. I'm in Elgin,SC. We have acres and the right setups. He would have is own pen and heated house. If you consider me I can provide all necessary pics. Thanks and good luck.

Great to hear. We'd love to see the pictures and get an idea of what times of year he'd get to live outdoors vs. indoors. Also, would this still be an option if my husband decides to finish the school year with Torty, since his students are attached to him, then we could get him to you in the spring or early summer? Or is it important for you to have him right away? Thank you so much!

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
My email is jojay327@yahoo. I'll send pics and we can chat about what you want to do. I can't upload pics for some reason

escurnow

5 Year Member
South Texas
I'd love to help you out. I'm happy to send pics of our enclosures as well, if he's still available.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Again, be very careful with newbies only looking for a free tort and only posting on free tort threads.