Want to start breeding - which tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We have been thinking for some time about getting into breeding tortoises. However, we are undecided which species to breed. Our purpose for breeding will be to increase the numbers of a species that is currently not abundant. We realize there are many like that and this is why we are undecided.

We do have space/environmental constraints to consider. Because we live in the north, we are unable to easily house large tortoises outside year-round. We initially thought about the brown mountain tortoise, but it is just too large for us to accomodate. Most recently we have discussed golden greeks, radiated, spider, western hermanns, and egyptian.

It seems smart to begin breeding with a species that is not as protected as radiated tortoises. Since these tortoises are so few in numbers, and so expensive we would not want to pull animals from the few that exist when we are inexperienced in breeding. But what about spider, greek, or egyptian? We are open to others suggestions as well.

So with the goal of breeding a tortoise and increasing its numbers which would be a good choice? Any advice is appreciated.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I would caution you against the spider torts for breeding. They have some very particular requirements and there is not alot of info at there on their habitat requirements. As far the best type, I would suggest one of the testudo genus. There are quite a few people on the forum who keep and breed them and are more than willing to mentor you. I see you have 1.1.2 pancakes and as your general knowledge grows that may be the unusual tort for you to work with.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Tim and Robin,
Seeing as your new to breeding tortoises and you already have a pair of Pancake tortoises. You might want to start by breeding them. :D
Pancakes are pretty straight forward to breed and your pair can stay together all year long.
Your list of tortoises are more for experienced breeders, but Testudo graeca ibera or T. hermanni boettgeri or T. h. hercegovinensis would be great for the begining breeder. :D

We're on the same page Larry :p

Danny

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
i agree with the before stated comments. Testudo species would be the way to go for beginning.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I completely agree with what the guys have said.

I also think you need to start with something which has caught your heart and interest, which I would make the assumption the pancakes have. You want to have pleasure and fun not only from producing hatchlings, but from the animals themselves. If it's not a species your heart is into, it will never mean as much to you. I think that shows down the line in how well your animals reproduce too.

Also starting with an easier animal, even if just for practice, will teach you the basics. Then when you try something harder (more expensive, less common too), it will not be as over whelming and discouraging if and when things go wrong or reproduction takes a longer then the anticipated time.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Pancakes would be good.. however from what I understand you get one shot per year; ONE egg!

So in the mean time go with those that Danny suggested.. he's hatched what.. 736 in the past few years!!! So far.

And he's willing to help...

NERD

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I get 3 eggs per year from my Pancake, Terry :D I've heard of people getting up to 6 a year.

Terry no fibbing :p I've only gotten 732 so far. :D

Danny

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
egyptiandan said:
I get 3 eggs per year from my Pancake, Terry :D I've heard of people getting up to 6 a year.

Terry no fibbing :p I've only gotten 732 so far. :D

Danny

Aren't pancakes the tortoise that lays the fewest eggs per year? I know in '07 my redfoots averaged 30+. 4 incubators going at 1 time!
Not complaining...

Terry K

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Redfoot NERD said:
Pancakes would be good.. however from what I understand you get one shot per year; ONE egg!

So in the mean time go with those that Danny suggested.. he's hatched what.. 736 in the past few years!!! So far.

And he's willing to help...

NERD

Yes, we were hoping for something with a little more interest than the 1 or so eggs from pancakes. We will try breeding those guys but I guess we want another project also that has a bit more frequent payoff (from effort, not in money).

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Tim/Robin said:
Yes, we were hoping for something with a little more interest than the 1 or so eggs from pancakes. We will try breeding those guys but I guess we want another project also that has a bit more frequent payoff (from effort, not in money).
I for one would be interested in pancakes as I'm sure others would. You have 2 unsexed one and hopefully they may turnout to be a pair or even two females.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We certainly love our Pancakes and are intrigued by such a wonderful specieas. We too are hoping our juvenile Pancakes end up being a pair. Additionally we would like to breed another small tort that may yeild more eggs, thus increasing our experience of successfully hatching tortoises.
With all that said and taking into consideration what all have advised, how do we go about acquiring CB adults of the same species that could begin our breeding group? Is that possible? Or would we be better off raising young ones to reach breeding age? We would like to have hatchlings in the next couple of years while our girls are still young and interested, and waiting for babies to reach maturity will not afford us this experience. What do you all suggest?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If I were in your shoes, I would start by PMing Danny and really having some serious conversations. Taking into consideration a few of what your interested in, he would have knowledge often of adults that are for sale before most of the rest of us. He also might be able to advise you who not to buy from. Always helps to have a relationship with somebody established in the area your contemplating.

S

stells

For me i think i would prefer less eggs to start out with so the pancakes sound perfect, that way you have more time to take in everything that is happening with those eggs and more time to perfect growing on the hatchlings when the time arrives.

I am yet to breed but was fortunate with a friend giving me 3 eggs not so long back, yes it was a thrill to watch them hatch and now watching the little ones develop but i am in no real rush to breed myself, the time will come when it comes, most of my tortoises are too young to breed ranging from a few weeks old up to 5, but they are ones i am raising up myself so when they are at breeding age it will be great to see that i have done well in their raising, that means more to me than just buying adult already grown on just for the sake of breeding, i do have two adult males but finding a suitable matching partner for them could take a fair while to do but i will wait the time will come.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Tim & Robin,
Getting adult CB animals seems to be quite hard to do, no matter what species your looking for. All my CB adult Testudo were not grown well by other people. They reproduce, but not near as well as they should. You will probably find more subadults for sale than adults and more of them will be better grown.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.