Wanted - adult female Russian tortoise (or two)

singapura78

Hi all - I am looking for two adult female Russian tortoises. No babies please.....I am WAY too nervous to handle wee baby tortoises I think. I am brand new and have been feverishly working on my new tort habitat. I think I have it all set up and am ready to receive :) I don't have any doggies, or a pool, or anything like that. And nothing that they could topple from. But they would have a HUGE amount of area to roam and be tortoisey. Please let me know if you have any ok? I am in the Sacramento, CA area.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Heather welcome to the TFO from AZ. If your really looking for Russian torts ? Please contact LLL Reptiles or the tort compound , they should have plenty . Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

singapura78

Thanks Grandpa Turtle and Yvonne G :) I have contacted Felice, but no one has turned in any Russians (which is a GOOD thing!!!). :) But I keep bugging her - hehe. I don't mind paying for some really nice Russians, but rescue is always good too. As long as they are healthy and I can give them a good home.

singapura78

Hi all - I am totally in love with tbe Russians!!!! I am hoping that someone has a few adult females that need a great outdoor (primarily) home to run and eat all the food they want. I am in the Sacramento, CA area. Felice also has my info. I am so excited about these little torts ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Heather:

I wanted to be sure that you understand that tortoises are solitary animals and don't appreciate other tortoises in their territory. You probably can get by with all females, but the outdoor habitat has to be BIG with lots of sight barriers and plenty of hiding places.

singapura78

Thank you so much Yvonne G. I have a decent size yard, but have worked to partion it off into sections using retaining wall blocks. So, if wanted, there would be no line of sight. I would LOVE to find some females that know each other and get along. But if not, then no big deal. In your experience, will the fact of "no line of sight" be sufficient? Or can they still smell each other?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have three females in the same yard. I don't ever see them fighting. So I think your sight barriers would be quite ok. You just have to be vigilant at first and watch to be sure it is working out for them.

singapura78

Thanks again Yvonne. I greatly appreciate all of the advice AND this forum. I have learned so much by just reading reading reading.