wanted male aldabra tortoise cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsay44

5 Year Member
i am 15 and have always wanted an aldabra tortoise and the only reason my dad said no is because they are so expensive if there is one out there that isnt perfect but has some type of undesirable defect (that doesnt affect health) i would be very happy because i can only spend around $200dollars
i have done tons of research on them and think i would make a wonderful mommy to one. i also have a sulcata tortoise so i have more than enough room. you can also email me at [email protected]
:tort::D
thanks lindsay

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
lindsay... welcome!
You can start with a sulcata and see if your parents like the upkeep of that...lots in recues needing good homes.

How many acers do you have? Are you going to go to college? Move?
I admire your want for something.. but i think this dream should wait till you are settled in your own home 8-10 years..
then maybe the price will ahve gone down too.. it did with sulcatas...

lindsay44

5 Year Member
laura(my sister has the same name)
we own a sulcata that we adore and when i go to vet school my dad is going to care for all my pets (i will leave him a care sheet to help him) and when i get a home of my own i want it to not be in town or on the edge of town and then my dad will give me my pets back. i don't know how many acres but we have a huge yard and we own some forest that can be cleared and added to our yard. so space and money are no problem. i am considered mature for my age and take care of a variety of animals from exotic fish to frogs to rats and my two dogs (a golden and a Dane) my parents want to help me with my interest and love of animals

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you are very lucky! and you remind me of someone...
Ita great that your parents want to assiss and support you!
I think you should post some pics of that russian and your sulcata!
and I like your sisters name.. :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome, They do get big!

29b1v77.jpg

lindsay44

5 Year Member
:)i am looking everywhere i can i will post if i do find one:tort:

ALDABRAMAN said:
Welcome, They do get big!

29b1v77.jpg

yeah and im prepared for that but i fell in love with them when i first saw a picture of one:p

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Why not just save up, focus your efforts, and get a healthy hatchling? You're 15? Show us some of that 15 year old "nobody is going to get in my way" drive. Do some odd jobs, raise some money. You can do it! an Aldabra, like any tortoise, is a lifelong decision. The time it will take you to raise the money will be a blink of an eye in the life of that tortoise.

Life lesson: never make a lifelong, life altering decision based on price. If you know what you want and you can't afford it: wait, focus and find a way.

Good luck.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
Hi Lindsay,
I mean you no disresepect, but no minor should own an aldabara.
Wait til you are older and more aware of the real world and then make an educated decision if an aldabara is the right choice for you.
you said money isn't an issue, but you're only looking to spend $200. That doesn't add up. If you can't afford the price tag on an Aldabara, you probably can't afford to keep one.
Keeping an Aldabara, and keeping a Sulcatta are not the same. and just means you need additional room independent of your sully.
good luck

lindsay44

5 Year Member
my parents pay for upkeep but i have to buy the tortoise myself and they gave me a $200 dollar limit because they want me to save all the rest of my money for a car. when i leave my parent will take care of my tortoises and other pets until i have my house. since in oregon im not even old enough to volunteer i cant have a job but i know a vet who lets me follow her around every saturday for the last year and a half. i am also considered quite smart im in advanced classes and am very mature my friends and family say im a little adult. i have personaly taken care of many exotics around my town and that includes one aldabra. the owners sold her when she reached 232 pounds :(

my parents said i could only spend around $200 and if i cant find one then im out of luck and the rest i earn they make me put towards a car but if i do find one then they will pay for necessities like food and vet care
but i will spend the money for and expensive baby after i am out of vet school and have a job so i can pay for him/her

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
lindsay44 said:
my parents pay for upkeep but i have to buy the tortoise myself and they gave me a $200 dollar limit because they want me to save all the rest of my money for a car. when i leave my parent will take care of my tortoises and other pets until i have my house. since in oregon im not even old enough to volunteer i cant have a job but i know a vet who lets me follow her around every saturday for the last year and a half. i am also considered quite smart im in advanced classes and am very mature my friends and family say im a little adult. i have personaly taken care of many exotics around my town and that includes one aldabra. the owners sold her when she reached 232 pounds :(

I have no doubt that you are a very intelligent young lady, but the intelligent thing to do would be to wait.
There are no guarantees in this life, but as a 15 year old whom has never worked it would irresponsible to get a giant tortoise now. Like I said before, let your life play out a little bit more. Then when you are ready, get an Aldabara on your terms.
I consider myself a very intelligent, and responsible person but at 15 if I'd have gotten an aldabara, it would have been a huge mistake.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
It really concerns me that you want an Aldabra "only" if it is cheap. Nothing about keeping a tortoise is cheap. There are unexpected cost's in keeping any animal that should be prepared for prior to purchasing that animal. This is a lifetime commitment. I truly wish you the best but I think your parents saying you can have an Aldab for $200 is the same as if they told you that you can buy a new Mercedes for your first car but only if you can find one for $50.

lindsay44

5 Year Member
i feel the same but not all parents understand so i at least had to try

rachael

5 Year Member
los angeles
You guys, this seems to be a young kid. Maybe we could cut them a little slack with their wants/dreams? Hell, I'd like $200 Giant tort as well.. I just havent made the thread about it yet.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
rachael said:
You guys, this seems to be a young kid. Maybe we could cut them a little slack with their wants/dreams? Hell, I'd like $200 Giant tort as well.. I just havent made the thread about it yet.

I think we are cutting her slack. We're trying to point her in the right direction in a very friendly manner and to her credit she's is taking all the criticism with a very good attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.