Wanted Russian, Greek, or Sulcata tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnesrose

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello!

my name's Agnes and I would like to raise a tortoise for the first time. I'm interested in adopting any of the three (or purchasing them) so if you are are selling or putting a tortoise up for adoption and willing to show me the ropes (I've done A LOT of research as well), email me =]

-Agnes

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Those three require different care and SPACE. Do you own your own home with a huge yard? If not, dont look at a sulcata.. the other two are much more yard friendly and not as much space needed.
Sulcatas should have pasture,, 40x40 minimum to wander and graze once they get BIG.. which they do quickly..I have a 10 year old 50 pounder..

agnesrose

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I actually do have plenty of yard space!! I actually have an area of my house that can be used for a sulcata or another tortoise that can reach its size. (they were meant for my dogs, but I moved them to my garage). If Russians and Greeks are easier to raise, then I'd much rather go with them. Thanks for the advice.

-Agnes

agnesrose

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oh! And since you messaged, I was thinking of keeping my future tortoise in a blue (eck I forgot dimensions, but it's pretty big) rubbermaid tub. It's pretty shallow and it looks like a kiddy pool--is that a suitable environment? As for lighting, I know I need a basking area, but what is this I'm reading about UVB lights? Should I get those as well? Or should I just incorporate D3 fortified calcium in their food? Both?

=]

-Agnes

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
iowa
you will need the uv bulbs. i add the D3 calcium powder to their food once or twice every other week to make sure they get what they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.