*wanted* terrestrial turtle in Georgia

steven nix

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
GA
I don’t know if these wanted posts ever get any traction but thought I’d try it. I would like to adopt a couple of box turtles, or elongated tortoise, or Russian. I keep red foot tortoises currently, so I am not new to keeping turtles, but would like to expand to other breeds. I’m in Georgia, not comfortable shipping, but if you live in north Georgia I’d be happy to meet you where ever.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Acquaint yourself with reptile species laws in Georgia:

steven nix

5 Year Member
GA
Acquaint yourself with reptile species laws in Georgia:
I am aware. Are you aware there are other box turtles not native to Georgia?

steven nix

5 Year Member
GA
No it specifically says eastern, Florida, gulf coast and three toed. They don’t prohibit non native species unless they’re dangerous to people.
It says NATIVE to Georgia. And there has already been a discussion about this on this forum.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I don’t know if these wanted posts ever get any traction but thought I’d try it. I would like to adopt a couple of box turtles, or elongated tortoise, or Russian. I keep red foot tortoises currently, so I am not new to keeping turtles, but would like to expand to other breeds. I’m in Georgia, not comfortable shipping, but if you live in north Georgia I’d be happy to meet you where ever.
Keep looking at craigslist, I see Russians available here all the time. Also,the only box turtle you can keep here legally is an ornate or an ornate intergrade.

zovick

10 Year Member!
No it specifically says eastern, Florida, gulf coast and three toed. They don’t prohibit non native species unless they’re dangerous to people.
You are correct. You could keep either type of Ornate Box Turtle (T. ornata ornata or T. ornata luteola) or even one of the Mexican species of Box Turtles if you can find them.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Also Cuora species.

If you state specifically which one(s) you are looking for...

zovick

10 Year Member!
@steven nix Here's one for you: https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760537

It would have to be shipped, though.