Wanting to add another Herman to enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexie

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! I just built a new table for my little Herman Razkal who's just shy of being 2yrs old, and I was thinking about getting another buddy in there for him. I thought this would be a good time since Razkal won't have an territory signed in his name in that enclosure yet. (I haven't put him in it yet as I'm still getting it all set up). My biggest concern is not knowing the sex of Razkal yet, even though I suspect male, he's still to young to really know, and I wouldn't know the sex of another hatchling. Would it be ok to keep them in the same enclosure together once they get older? Or would I have to separate them?
Any input would be great as this is my first tortoise and the light of my world so I wouldn't want to inflict harm on him or a future tort.
Thanks!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Welcome to the forum!
I personally would not add a buddy to the enclosure. This could result in all sorts of issues thatyou did not anticipate.
Fortunately tortoises do not get lonely.
I have a very happy Hermanns tortoise. She is in her own, large enclosure and I am positive that she would be upset if I added to her peaceful home.
Please psot pictures of your Hermanns and the enclosure.
We love pictures!

Lexie

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advise, I've gotta remember that they don't get lonely ;-) here's some pics of the in progress enclosure. It's curing and airing out at this point so I won't have a final pic with him in it all set up for a little whileImageUploadedByTortForum1377816219.570339.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377816235.856422.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377816260.586590.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377816295.802855.jpgthe last pic has him in front of it...he looks so small! He's going to love it! He's been quit the explorer so I think this is just what he needs!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would leave Razkal as the sole king of his castle. He does not need or want another tortoise in there with him.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi. Welcome! Great table! I just thought I'd share my experience with having 2 Hermannis. I had to separate my male and female, even though they had been together for at least 6 yrs, before I got them. The male was harassing the female too much and she was really showing signs of stress and becoming aggressive. So it really didn't matter that they were the opposite sex; they still didn't get along so well. They're happily divorced now. ;)

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Lexie

5 Year Member
Good points everyone, thanks for the input,,,and yes Tom, Razkal is king so Ill let him bask in his glory for some years ;-) I would like in the future to have a few more of these amazing animals, but I think I will wait until Razkal is older so I can determine his sex and go from there. Maybe he will actually be a she and I could add another girl. Of course this will be far down the road and I hope by then to have a large out door habitat for them to roam like the wild animals they are. Until then Ill let Razkal remain as king [WINKING FACE]

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Definitely wait until there's no doubt of Razkal's gender...then, if Razkal is, indeed, a male, and only if the enclosure is large enough, get him 2 or more females to ply his reproductive enthusiasm upon. Figure at least 16' (L) X 8' (W) X 3'(T).

OTOH, that's a good size enclosure for one young Hermann's, and very nicely put together, but if Razkal turns out to be a Razkalette, Razkalora or Razkalina, it's gonna be a bit tiny. Try for a minimum of 7' X 5' for a single adult (which Razkal will be sooner than you'll believe)

Lexie

5 Year Member
Nice, thanks for the advice! I know this enclosure will be big enough for him for the next few years so hopefully after that Ill have a nice large outdoor enclosure for him. I'm also going to have part of this enclosure for growing weeds and grass for him so that'll take up some space.

Also thanks for some females names in case he ends up being a her ;-)

Lexie

5 Year Member
Alright! Got the table built, sealed and aired out, and then it was time for the fun stuff...decorating and watching lil Razkal explore ;-) I think it turned out pretty good for my first tortoise table! In the process if growing some grass and clovers so I bought some wheat grass form the pet store in the mean time.
All I have to do now is print of some mountain pics from my travels and put them behind the plexi glass and he'll feel like he's in the wild!

And no, I won't be getting him a buddy. Thanks for the advice everyone!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378359249.345313.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378359268.661075.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378359291.113493.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378359312.677602.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The clamps on those clamp lamps always eventually fail. Sometimes with disastrous consequences. I highly recommend scuring that one over on the right somehow, or getting another lamp stand.

Table looks great.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Lexie said:
Alright! Got the table built, sealed and aired out, and then it was time for the fun stuff...decorating and watching lil Razkal explore ;-) I think it turned out pretty good for my first tortoise table! In the process if growing some grass and clovers so I bought some wheat grass form the pet store in the mean time.
All I have to do now is print of some mountain pics from my travels and put them behind the plexi glass and he'll feel like he's in the wild!

And no, I won't be getting him a buddy. Thanks for the advice everyone!

your enclosure is by far the best looking one i've seen yet..very nice..very natural looking...even down to the patterns on the rocks...absolutely beautiful

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Great looking enclosure!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Status
Not open for further replies.