Wanting to adopt a red foot in Florida, but will to take a road trip

KiraBeckham

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Collins, Colorado
I currently am summer sitting a female Red foot and I fell in love so much I made this area for her. I am looking to adopt 1 or 2 more any age, perferbly female, as I do not want babies. I do have an indoor enclosure for at night and when it gets cold. Dreding having to give her back.
View attachment 357443
Hi, I have a beautiful little Redfoot in Colorado that needs a home in a climate more friendly to her species. I'm in Fort Collins so shipping her would make more sense but for the right home I'd be willing to meet you in the middle!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Hi, I have a beautiful little Redfoot in Colorado that needs a home in a climate more friendly to her species. I'm in Fort Collins so shipping her would make more sense but for the right home I'd be willing to meet you in the middle!
She adopted the one in the thread here already

Lake worth, fl
I have the room to separate them. I do not know anything about shipping. Is there a safe way to do that?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What is your zip code? Mine is 33462
Yes, it's safe to ship. However, do you have the room to house two? They both need a large enclosure, not just a 4x8. That's the minimum size for a Russian which is much smaller than a RF. A lot of people see that minimum size and don't pay attention to the fact it's for Russians not most other species.

Lake worth, fl
My area is 7' by 16'. A little larger than that, the measurements are if I squared it off. If I spilt in down the middle it would be 7' by 8' and they would each have a bush of their own. Do you think that's big enough?

Lake worth, fl
Congrats! It looks as though you did it correctly. I am able to see both videos with no problems.
I think Kiwi is looking better, definitely getting more red on the legs. I didn't really like the vet, but he said all is good and to keep doing what I am doing.

One question for the panel. I have two 12" terracotta saucers I fill with water. Kiwi doesn't seem to soak or bask in them. Maybe I miss it while at work. Is there something better for them to soak in? Mind you I live in South Florida so very humid. I also run a mister on each bush for at least 20 minutes each morning.

Lake worth, fl
Pic in the grass was the first day I had Kiwi. The other 2 pictures are today. I think we've made progress, in the 2 months.

Attachments

• 20230629_154053.jpg
    20230629_154053.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230629_154055.jpg
    20230629_154055.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230513_183904.jpg
    20230513_183904.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1

zovick

10 Year Member!
Pic in the grass was the first day I had Kiwi. The other 2 pictures are today. I think we've made progress, in the 2 months.
You can soak the tortoise best in a plastic tub which is deep enough to prevent it from getting out of it. This way the tortoise is actually in the water for 20-30 minutes daily. Just make sure you don't make the water too deep. It should be at the level where the top and bottom shells meet on the sides of the tortoise or just about where the gular scutes (bottom shell) jut out in front under the chin of the tortoise.

I recommend watching the animal while it soaks to be sure it doesn't accidentally tip itself over and drown.

Lake worth, fl
You can soak the tortoise best in a plastic tub which is deep enough to prevent it from getting out of it. This way the tortoise is actually in the water for 20-30 minutes daily. Just make sure you don't make the water too deep. It should be at the level where the top and bottom shells meet on the sides of the tortoise or just about where the gular scutes (bottom shell) jut out in front under the chin of the tortoise.

I recommend watching the animal while it soaks to be sure it doesn't accidentally tip itself over and drown.
Thank you!! Temp of the water important? Keep in mind I live in S. Florida. Hose water comes out pretty warm