Wanting to adopt a red foot in Florida, but will to take a road trip

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Poor thing! Glad s/he is in good hands now!

@ashleybutterfly make sure to follow @ZEROPILOT's food advice above and answer as many questions about conditions so you can get good info
Yes.
Thank you.
Everyone here at the forum is here to help.
The good news is that you live in Florida. Everything else should be relatively easy.

Lake worth, fl
Yes.
Thank you.
Everyone here at the forum is here to help.
The good news is that you live in Florida. Everything else should be relatively easy.
Followed. Thank you both!! I am so glad I posted the picture. I will keep you updated with her progress.
On a great note, my coworker agreed to let me keep her after I sent her the information you both provided me. She lives in a condo and doesn't have the room to take care of her properly. So, now I am the proud owner of a red foot that needs a lot of care. I am no longer looking to adopt.

Last edited by a moderator:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Followed. Thank you both!! I am so glad I posted the picture. I will keep you updated with her progress.
On a great note, my coworker agreed to let me keep her after I sent her the information you both provided me. She lives in a condo and doesn't have the room to take care of her properly. So, now I am the proud owner of a red foot that needs a lot of care. I am no longer looking to adopt.
CONGRATS!! happy for both of you...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats fantastic!
And believe me. A single tortoise is a happy tortoise.
How large is she/he?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Thank you for caring about this tortoise so much. You’re a real Angel. I gasped when I saw the picture you shared. That poor tortoise has lived an awful and cruel life so far. Bless your heart for taking her in and giving her the life she deserves. I am so happy for you and the tortoise and the beautiful bond you already have that will only grow bigger and bigger.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania

You're doing an awesome thing! 🐢

Lake worth, fl
I have a question. She loves this spot under the bush. Which is great because it stays moist without me even trying. My question is should I add mulch so she can burrow? I have an 8 quart bag of repti bark coming tomorrow.

Also I payed close attention to her gate this morning. Her shell does not drag and she does not limp or seem to have any mobility issues.

Zero pilot, I will get my tape measure this evening and let you know.

Lake worth, fl
I have a question. She loves this spot under the bush. Which is great because it stays moist without me even trying. My question is should I add mulch so she can burrow? I have an 8 quart bag of repti bark coming tomorrow.

Also I payed close attention to her gate this morning. Her shell does not drag and she does not limp or seem to have any mobility issues.

Zero pilot, I will get my tape measure this evening and let you know.

Attachments

• 20230602_090353.jpg
    20230602_090353.jpg
    1,020.2 KB · Views: 6
Lake worth, fl
She is about a little less the 6 inches, her bottom shell is 5 inches

I just gave her blue wilderness cat food she loved and kept walking to me for more. How much is to much? I do think you are right about being skinny. I am not sure she has ever had protein. Makes me want to cry!! Oh and I changed her name, meet Kiwi
Thats fantastic!
And believe me. A single tortoise is a happy tortoise.
How large is she/he?
"

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
She is about a little less the 6 inches, her bottom shell is 5 inches

I just gave her blue wilderness cat food she loved and kept walking to me for more. How much is to much? I do think you are right about being skinny. I am not sure she has ever had protein. Makes me want to cry!! Oh and I changed her name, meet Kiwi

"
Protein is good for a Redfoot in moderation.
You can offer it semi regularly. As part of the diet.
Maybe one meal every two weeks. Or as a small part of the meal a few times a month.
With the improved diet. The large outdoors space and access to sunlight a few hours a week, he should start acting totally different on a few weeks.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Maybe one meal every two weeks. Or as a small part of the meal a few times a month.
With the improved diet. The large outdoors space and access to sunlight a few hours a week, he should start acting totally different on a few weeks.

i hope to see pictures as she improves!

Lake worth, fl
I wanted to give her more cat food because she was so happy. I am just scared to do something that would hurt her more.

I will post pictures so you can see the progress we've made.

Zero pilot I thought I lost her last night. You are close to me, so you know the storms we had. My partner was out with me looking bright and early. Kick in the a$$ was she was in my enclosure. Just hidden

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I wanted to give her more cat food because she was so happy. I am just scared to do something that would hurt her more.

I will post pictures so you can see the progress we've made.

Zero pilot I thought I lost her last night. You are close to me, so you know the storms we had. My partner was out with me looking bright and early. Kick in the a$$ was she was in my enclosure. Just hidden
Redfoot love the rain. And they can swim. (They can also drown)
Did any area of your enclosure flood?
Did any of your walls fail?
I still think that you need taller, secure walls. I'm concerned that if a wall fails or he can get over a wall that he's going to escape. Especially as he gets stronger

Last edited:
Lake worth, fl
No failure of the wall. One of the potted plants blew over and left a small opening. Bought more pavers and filled that area. The wall is actual concrete. It looks shorter from the outside because of the grass. It is about 10" on the inside. Do you think that is high enough? I am definitely will to buy bricks to raise it up.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
No failure of the wall. One of the potted plants blew over and left a small opening. Bought more pavers and filled that area. The wall is actual concrete. It looks shorter from the outside because of the grass. It is about 10" on the inside. Do you think that is high enough? I am definitely will to buy bricks to raise it up.
It'd be better and easier to raise the walls now then to have to deal with an escaped RF.
Mine are adult. And it's absolutely amazing how close by they can be and still be invisible in the grass.

Lake worth, fl
I didn't see the post about the mulch.
I do use mulch. It helps with humidity and as it breaks down, it helps with the quality of the soil. Which, at least here, is pretty poor.
Where do you get your soil? The more I read I am scared to use soil. My partner is talking about tearing out the bushes and making the whole area better for Kiwi. We have had the area for butterflies, so now he wants to make it butterflies and for the tortoise. Any suggestions on what to plant? I apologize for all the questions. I want to make an oasis for her.

Lake worth, fl
Raising the wall the wall tomorrow. It's 25 cents a brick. Worth the money, verses me in the rain freaked out I lost Kiwi. I will post a picture of her soon. I really think she is doing much better since I leave her outside. I worry about leaving her outside at night, but she seems to find a place to curl up. Should I bring her in at night? Again I apologize for all the questions, just a worried mom.