Wanting to build a multi level table for red foot tort..

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartasaur

5 Year Member
I'm wanting to build my red foot a multio level home (she loves to climb and rome around the house and explore the yard when the weather is willing, I live in alberta so its not as often as I'd like) so I figure a multi level will give her more space without taking up as much room (I live in an apartment so I havnt got a ton of space) and I was just wondering if anyone has done this and has any tips and pointers for how I should go about building this. I want to make sure that she has the peoper temperature range throughout the entire terrarium and has the proper ventilation and humidity levels ect. But is still fairly easy to clean if possible.

This will be my first build so I'm also wondering what the best materials would be to use, how can I water-proof without harmful sealant chemicals, what dimensions should I use so I get the best square footage without taking up too much floor space, what would be best for ramps ect..

I appreciate any input anyone has to offer, like I said this is my first build.
Thanks=]

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
for the frame, go with 2X4's or 2X6's..for the walls and floors, use 3/4-inch plywood..youre going to want to use corner nailers so just cut 2X4's in half. for substrate use coco coir as it is easily maintained and perfect for tortoises health-wise. dimensions, i would make the lower level 6' by 4' or so' then the top the same or close to it. for the ramp you could use 1/2-inch plywood. be sure to not make it too steep because it could make it difficult for them to get up. you might consider putting popsicle sticks horizontally across it every couple inches to further aid your red foot in getting up there, or even down.

jerm42991

5 Year Member
I am actually in the process of something similar. 2x4s for the frame, 1/2 plywood for the floors, 1/4 3 ply for the skin. All stained and sealed, cracks are all sealed with silicone.

To hold the 2nd floor up, use L brackets around the sides and back. The hardest thing is is going to be temperature. Best bet is to make the top only half or less of the bottom floor and then you would be able to have a heat lamp in each section a lot easier.

I also recommend getting a humidifier, small 1 gallon with a hose that goes into the enclosure, and a Zoomed hygrotherm humidity and temperature control. It will allow you to maintain temperature and humidity

spartasaur

5 Year Member
If I were to make it have a couple levels would I be able to take it down from 6'x4' at all? I just don't have a whole ton of floor space where it would fit so I'm just trying to figure out all the options, And with using a humidifier would something like plexiglass work better? I just don't want the wood rotting on me from all the moisture=\. I know she will need lots moee space once she is fully grown ( 6'x4' is the recommended minimum) so I'm trying to figure out if I can give her the same square footage but breaking it up over a couple floors to save floor space in the house. Also how tall should I build the walls? And what coule I use for a cover over the enclosure? My boyfriend is wanting to get a puppy and I don't want to have any accidents if they can be avoided

jerm42991

5 Year Member
It entirely depends on how large the other floors are on if you can bring it down in size.

As for the wood, you can seal the wood and you would be fine there. Or put tarp down. You could make the whole thing out of plexi glass but that can get expensive and it isnt great as a building material.

Here is a picture of the frame of the enclosure I am working on. The bottom part is the stand and where the 3 2x4s in the middle are, is where the substrate will go. The entire thing will be covered and a door will be installed to have access. Just to give you kind of an idea. The size is 4x6x5.5 to give you size idea as well
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377620644.889205.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377620673.692124.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

spartasaur

5 Year Member
That tortoise table looks like it will be gorgeous when it's finished=].
I was thinking of doing the bottom floor 4'x4.5' and then doing a middle level on one side 3.5'x4.5' and an upper level that was maybe about 3'x4.5' with a few ramps leading to each level if I have the space for more then one and having an access door to the bottom and middle and a removable top to the whole thing. Would this be enough space? I'm thinking ill do the two side walls and the back with wood and the front with plexiglass so it can acr as a viewing window so I can see into all the levels, it will also have access to the natural daylight as it will be by the window and ill also have a uv lamp if need be.

jerm42991

5 Year Member
Sounds like a solid plan to me. With the ramps, just make sure they aren't to steep.

I am planning to put some sand in the sealant for the ramps just to give it a little more grip.

Keep in mind the size of the ramp as well to make sure it is wide enough for a full grown red foot

spartasaur

5 Year Member
I was thinking of doing them about a foot wide and having them on hinges so that she can push them out of the way if she wants to go under them. with having the levels about 1.5' apart that should give her enough space to move around eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.