Wanting to Buy/Adopt a Russian

lilly_sand99

Location (City and/or State)
Marshalltown IA
Hello, I am looking into adopting or buying a Russian tor tortoise. I am still doing research, but I want to have a general ball park estimate on how much I need to save to buy a tortoise.

Also, during my research I have gotten a lot of mixed understandings on what is an appropriate substrate to use in an indoor tortoise table.

Thank :)

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Haha that substrate question gave me FITS when I was new. First the price varies, if wild caught you are looking at 75-80 bucks. If captive bred (preferable) they can get upwards of 150-200.

For the substrate, you should zero in on coco coir and forest floor/cypress mulch. The coco coir can be bought in 5kg bricks on ebay for 20 bucks and not only covers a lot of area, but is digestible. The forest floor brand is expensive, other cypress can be fairly cheap.

For now I suggest the coco coir...experiment later with others like cypress. It is simple, just add water to expand it. For me a 5kg brick takes roughly 5 or 6 gallons to expand it. I suggest putting the brick in a plastic bin in the enclosure to expand it that way you don't make a huge mess. Pour slower if water starts pooling.

You also need the beginner links...which I don't have handy. If someone doesn't chime in with those I'll return later tonight and post them when I have more time.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Haha that substrate question gave me FITS when I was new. First the price varies, if wild caught you are looking at 75-80 bucks. If captive bred (preferable) they can get upwards of 150-200.

For the substrate, you should zero in on coco coir and forest floor/cypress mulch. The coco coir can be bought in 5kg bricks on ebay for 20 bucks and not only covers a lot of area, but is digestible. The forest floor brand is expensive, other cypress can be fairly cheap.

For now I suggest the coco coir...experiment later with others like cypress. It is simple, just add water to expand it. For me a 5kg brick takes roughly 5 or 6 gallons to expand it. I suggest putting the brick in a plastic bin in the enclosure to expand it that way you don't make a huge mess. Pour slower if water starts pooling.

You also need the beginner links...which I don't have handy. If someone doesn't chime in with those I'll return later tonight and post them when I have more time.

Where can I get a captive bred Russian? Is it safe to get it mailed?

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Where can I get a captive bred Russian? Is it safe to get it mailed?

Having them mailed is safe as long as you use a trusted source...I have never done it myself, but others swear by LLLreptile and Tortoisesupply.

Here are those links, they are your best bet for a proper start.

Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

I am uber late, Post any questions and I'll get to them soon.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Check your local Craigslist listings. There are usually lots of Russian tortoises available on CL all over the country from individuals who no longer want them. Chances are good that you may find one not far from you. By doing so you're giving a tortoise a home that is coming from someone who no longer wants the animal rather than purchasing from a dealer or pet shop that buys fresh wild caught animals which continues to encourage taking more from the wild.

As far as substrate for adult tortoises and larger enclosures there isn't much out there that compares to cypress bark mulch. It has many benefits with few (if any) negatives.

Stay away from coconut coir as a sole substrate. It is ground very small and is very dusty when it dries out and it's always drying out when exposed to heat. This fine dust can be inhaled by tortoises, causing nasal irritation and blockage over time which can result in health problems. It can also stick to foods and be ingested as well as clinging to anything moist such as a tortoises eyes and mouth. In order to keep coconut coir from drying out it must be kept very moist which is not a desirable condition for most species and definitely not for Russian tortoises. Coconut coir has a place when mixed in small amounts with a natural soil to help retain some overall moisture without everything being wet.

Southernreptiles

5 Year Member
Boca Raton
Avoid getting a wild caught Russian tortoise. They are imported in droves and usually have some health issues that come along with them. Not always the case but does happen.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Avoid getting a wild caught Russian tortoise. They are imported in droves and usually have some health issues that come along with them. Not always the case but does happen.

An imported Russian is likely to carry a high parasite load. This can be easily treated but a good herp vet but many tortoises carry this parasite load their entire lives without problem. I know some of our owners (@wellington, maybe?) don’t treat parasites unless they are impacting another healthc ondition. That’s the only common health condition I know of.

It’s great we have captive bred tortoises available now but the fact is many imported Russians are taken home by people who don’t realize how to care for one and quickly offer them up through Craigslist. That’s presuming their tortoise hasn’t busted out of the place already. :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome! If you want a baby, I would go to Carol S, or any other breeder here! Carol breeds amazing Russians, and I would absolutely choose her over LLL reptiles, where they often buy from random breeders to fill their demand.

For substrate, I would recommend coco coir or peat moss for babies, and orchid bark(best in my opinion) or cypress mulch for juveniles and adults. I highly recommend orchid bark. You can buy all of these for much cheaper at plant nurseries, just make sure they’re organic and not mixed with pine, cedar, or chemicals.

Your tortoise will need a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet as an adult.

Please give these a read and come back with questions :)

Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/.

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
So I plan on buying a 150 gallon horse trough, (kinda looks like a giant Rubbermaid tote), will that be big enough if I get a Russian from Carol? And then how long can my tort live in the tank before it needs an upgrade?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
So I plan on buying a 150 gallon horse trough, (kinda looks like a giant Rubbermaid tote), will that be big enough if I get a Russian from Carol? And then how long can my tort live in the tank before it needs an upgrade?

That trough doesn’t seem like it would be close to big enough for an adult, but it would be great for a hatchling or juvenile. Remember, as an adult, your tortoise will need a minimum of 32 square feet, or 8x4 feet.

It will depend on the size of tank, but in a minimum of a 40 gallon, it might last a few months before you need something bigger. What you can do, is start building the 8x4 table while the tort is in the tank, so that you can put him straight in the table when he grows out of the tank.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
There are many adoption centers that give Russians for little or no fee. Check to see if there are any in your area before you buy one. I find a lot when hiking that were pets and unfortunately released. I take them to the SDTTS - (my local rescue).

ILuvDogz

Hello, I am looking into adopting or buying a Russian tor tortoise. I am still doing research, but I want to have a general ball park estimate on how much I need to save to buy a tortoise.

Also, during my research I have gotten a lot of mixed understandings on what is an appropriate substrate to use in an indoor tortoise table.

Thank :)
I have a beautiful Russian Tortoise, named Borgie...male, for sale in the Western New York area. I’m retired and am unable to care for him any more. He has a beautiful big enclosure...called “The Tortoise Palace”. You can google that for a picture. It was $250.00 when I purchased it. I am wanting to sell him...with everything included...enclosure, $50.00 MVB Bulb, dishes, etc. for 250.00...just the price of the enclosure. I have well over a grand invested in this little guy. I want a great home for him.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
If you're adamant about getting one you'll need to have either an indoor or outdoor enclosure ready before it arrives. Captive bred hatchlings require more care, and soakings over an adult. There should be numerous sticky posts on guidelines and essential equipment for new owners.

You'll also want to avoid known pet brand light fixtures and instead buy heavy duty alternatives if you want to save money and have a more reliable setup in the long run.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Today I just got done building a 4x8 indoor enclosure, now I am window shopping for edible plants to place in his enclosure, I am planning on getting an adult because I am scared of not properly hydrating a hatching

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Today I just got done building a 4x8 indoor enclosure, now I am window shopping for edible plants to place in his enclosure, I am planning on getting an adult because I am scared of not properly hydrating a hatching
I see them on Criagslist often.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
What precautions do I need to take with a Craigslist tortoise? Like what questions should I ask?
I would ask where they bought it and has it ever been checked for parasites. Ask about it’s diet too. Someone else may have better questions for you.