Wanting to start raising rabbits for food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I seen Ken's post last week Kevin ,so I did know that . But only because Ken posted the blue whale thing last week . What I don't know is how they timed that fart to put a horse in it .
And how did they make the bubble stand still while they loaded the horse into it. I assume they must have had the horse in a large submarine to do this…

You'd think someone would have videoed it with their iPhone…

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You would think so ,but maybe it was pre 90's when they did it .

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
In Sweden, mostly in the old days, people built above ground cellers to store produse over winter and into summer. The thick walls and sloping sides, it looks like a small hill with a door, kept the temp at a steady 12 C, just as if it had been in the ground. Maybe you can build something like that for your rabbits?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
In Sweden, mostly in the old days, people built above ground cellers to store produse over winter and into summer. The thick walls and sloping sides, it looks like a small hill with a door, kept the temp at a steady 12 C, just as if it had been in the ground. Maybe you can build something like that for your rabbits?
I love this!

Bambam1989

East Texas
I raised rabbits for years when I lived in Texas.. close to 20 years. These were for food as well as ffa. A rabbit is gonna chew through any plastic or wood (they ARE rodents after all). Metal wiring is the only thing I recommend. When you have them in above ground cages they have to have full shade all day long. Keep the sides open so air flows easily. Misting fans and ice bottles are what we used to keep ours cool. The only way I would feel comfortable keeping rabbits on the ground is to pour a concrete foundation and concrete walls about 1-2ft tall, fill that with dirt and then wire for the top and sides... I hope that makes sense.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I raised rabbits for years when I lived in Texas.. close to 20 years. These were for food as well as ffa. A rabbit is gonna chew through any plastic or wood (they ARE rodents after all). Metal wiring is the only thing I recommend. When you have them in above ground cages they have to have full shade all day long. Keep the sides open so air flows easily. Misting fans and ice bottles are what we used to keep ours cool. The only way I would feel comfortable keeping rabbits on the ground is to pour a concrete foundation and concrete walls about 1-2ft tall, fill that with dirt and then wire for the top and sides... I hope that makes sense.

BamBam? Rabbits are lagomorphs, not rodents… I'm just sayin'...

Bambam1989

East Texas
BamBam? Rabbits are lagomorphs, not rodents… I'm just sayin'...
Yes your right. Carl Linnaeus (botanist, zoologist, and physician from 1700s) originally grouped them with rodents but it later was decided that it was a case of convergent evolution.
So I change my statement. They are very rodent LIKE.. and will chew on everything.
Thanks Tom for pointing out my mistake:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes your right. Carl Linnaeus (botanist, zoologist, and physician from 1700s) originally grouped them with rodents but it later was decided that it was a case of convergent evolution.
So I change my statement. They are very rodent LIKE.. and will chew on everything.
Thanks Tom for pointing out my mistake:D

I had a bio professor in college. It was a big deal to him that everyone knew that rabbits weren't rodents. It really bothered him… I guess the lesson has stuck with me after all these years. He'd be so proud. :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Air conditioning in a shed is the cheapest easy way to go . Build a shed . Then add shelf racks with no bottom . Set the cages on the rack . Get a piece of sheet metal install it at a angle under the cages . Build a door to the outside . Line the door opening with sheet metal to prevent rotting of wooden shed framing . Install a water hose at the other end of angled sheet metal. So you can spray the poop down the metal and outside the shed into a bucket . Install a small window unit in the shed . Feed and water them pooping machines . You can buy prebuilt rabbit cages at tractor supply cheap . If you build their cages underground or on the ground you'll be shoveling poop for days . Plus the smell of rabbit pee is killer .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Plus if you are planning on breeding them a little tip . Never stick the male in the females cage . Always put the female with the male . The female will kill the male or bite off his junk . True story . Now ask me how I know that . As soon as the male is finished with his business remove the female . Should only take a few seconds . As rabbits breed fast . Didn't know if you knew this tid bit of information or not .