Warts and skin discoloration

Stellar7

Turtle has had some warts and associated skin discokorations for a few months now. I do remember her having areas of peeling skin. I am not sure if they were in the same place. Is this something to worry about such as a larvae infestation, a virus, or bacteria? Does she need to visit a veternarian?

Thank you.
S7skin-03.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not an expert on this subject, however, I believe the maggot migrates around inside the animal. By the time it gets to the skin to come out, it already has made an open wound. I really don't think these bumps are related to any kind of maggot. It might be an allergic reaction, or teeny tiny cactus stickers, or something like that.

I would scrub the areas will with something like Chlorhexidine and clean it well. If you're really worried, a vet might be able to take a sample and have it tested.

(Or, it could just be the design of the turtle's skin???)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Looks like scales to me. If they weep or smell then I would be concerned.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
My torts has had the same thing since I first purchased her. I believe it's just scales. She's got it in the rear, especially! Generally, however, her neck is usually pretty smooth, but they don't look like a concern to me.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
My tortoise also has similar things around her (and his) butt area also. the darkish coloring with bumpy scales.

Stellar7

scales, they are scales. chelonians are reptiles, reptiles have scales.
Hi Will. Yes, i am always concerned. She sometimes smells bad but it is transient and possibly diet related. I might try Chlorhexidine as recommended by Yvonne once i find some.