was buying a Russian tortoise form petco a bad idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Love Dino

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
colorado
I bought Dino at pet co about 6 months ago and he is doing great! but i heard rumors that pet co or pet smart isn't a good place to buy russian torts.do pet co ,and pet smart get their russian's from wild?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
There is a continued debate on this.

One side says buying from the pet store supports the continued capture of WC torts only leading to more being caught to "fill his place".

The other side says why not bring home the tortoise that was already caught and needs a good life anyway.

I used to be on the first side, now I'm on the second. You'll find many people on both sides.

I'd say don't worry about it. Enjoy Dino :)

I Love Dino

5 Year Member
colorado
Team Gomberg said:
There is a continued debate on this.

One side says buying from the pet store supports the continued capture of WC torts only leading to more being caught to "fill his place".

The other side says why not bring home the tortoise that was already caught and needs a good life anyway.

I used to be on the first side, now I'm on the second. You'll find many people on both sides.

I'd say don't worry about it. Enjoy Dino :)

Ok thank you.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
As long as you love him, then it wasn't a bad idea. Mine came from Petco too and I don't regret it. :)

kira

5 Year Member
Bay Area, California
My Russian came from Petco. Whether they come from the wild or not, Petco doesn't know how to take care of their tortoises. They won't stop selling them, so the least we can do is give them a proper home and care. I consider my Russian a rescue because of the conditions they kept her in. Either way you saved that little tort so don't regret it!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Huge debate been debatable for years. I don't really urge people to buy from pershops because they can be a little harder and ill if they are wc, seems tho they have been getting better as far as selling wc turtles. I always say cb is always good, but as long as you provide a good happy home see no problems either way

kjr153

5 Year Member
This is a hard topic. You feel like if you get it from the Pet store who is not taking care of it properly, then in a sense you're helping the Tort. On the other hand, if you buy one they will just replace it with another and the cycle will never stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.