Was given a tortoise, can anyone identify its species?

Tzanmc

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
...and being on that rug is not good for him, he may eat it or get hairs into his digestive system from it...set him up ASAP in his own space with appropriate substrate.
Thanks, hes off the fleece...I'm on a store checking out substrate, cuttle fish, food flower toppers and calcium powders...am I heading in the right direction?

Tzanmc

Uk
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! {Dramatic horror movie yell....}

You will get nothing but bad advice and bad products from a pet shop. Save yourself that hassle and expense, and save your tortoise from dangerous pet store crap. Most of what you need will be found at a hardware store, not a pet shop.

Care for all Testudo is similar. Read these and then come back with questions.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Thankyou oh master of scene setting, I'm seriously gunna develop palpitations over this wee beastie thankyou for the warning.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You are in the right place here, I assure you. I have never for one moment regretted coming here for help when I got my redfoots over three years ago. You will get excellent help and more.

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
Hi everyone! I've just found you all. I recently was given a tortoise to care for - ive no idea what type he is . Can anyone help? I'd be very grateful.
Thanks!

View attachment 283238 View attachment 283239

You will love it! I have a 9-10 year Marginated and he is so sweet. Eats great, poops great, and loves to roam the yard in summer. He loves head, neck, and legs rubs too!

Tzanmc

Uk
You will love it! I have a 9-10 year Marginated and he is so sweet. Eats great, poops great, and loves to roam the yard in summer. He loves head, neck, and legs rubs too!
Mm I'm disheartened, I was in at an exotics store that's well respected a few towns over today - he was gobsmacked this wee guys made it to 15, I'm devastated to say they dont think hes in the best of shape - deformities from bad care as a hatchling, poor diet, ridged shell where it shouldn't be...I spent tonnes of time with them looking over their baby herman clutch that's about a year old, looking at appropriate set ups ect, discussed diet at length. I'll do what I can to make his life comfortable though they dont expect him to life to his species potential. I'm so angry at people buying designer in vogue living things without really being interested in their care....rant over, lol I've managed to get him to trust enough to let me rub his throat

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
Mm I'm disheartened, I was in at an exotics store that's well respected a few towns over today - he was gobsmacked this wee guys made it to 15, I'm devastated to say they dont think hes in the best of shape - deformities from bad care as a hatchling, poor diet, ridged shell where it shouldn't be...I spent tonnes of time with them looking over their baby herman clutch that's about a year old, looking at appropriate set ups ect, discussed diet at length. I'll do what I can to make his life comfortable though they dont expect him to life to his species potential. I'm so angry at people buying designer in vogue living things without really being interested in their care....rant over, lol I've managed to get him to trust enough to let me rub his throat

From the photos you posted he looks OK. I think with great health care now you can give him/her a good life.

bluewolf

Melbourne Florida
We live in scotland, I'd kill him in the cold even if I could find sunlight here atm, so hes by the heater with that light...wide awake, kinda pulsing his limbs under the rays. Hes eating and passing fine, just chased the cat away...gees, I'm feeling like a first time mummy atm. I'm really appreciating everyones help. Thankyou!

This feels exciting!! Can’t wait to hear more about him.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Watch him while he soaks just to be safe and don't make the water too deep - half way up his shell should be good.

surfergirl

Torts are pretty tough and can take a lot especially if they make it to be older/bigger/stronger so you might be surprised by his recovery and vigor once all his needs are filled correctly. I too get extremely upset with people going through pets/torts like they do shoes. Throw em in the closet and forget about em, or worse throw out and get another pair. The passionate people on tortoise forum care more about the best care first.
So much that sometimes the fad keepers can take their advice and responses the wrong way, but I can tell you they care very deeply about the quality of life we provide for our shelled family members! So keep us posted on how your new, lucky you found him tort starts doing. I bet he'll be doing well for a long time. ☺

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like your "well respected exotics store" doesn't know much about the marginated tortoise. He looks fine. They're supposed to have that flare around the bottom of the shell. That's why it's called "marginated."
1581872764418.png

Yes, he's a LITTLE bumpy directly on top, but that's from being kept in a too dry enclosure during his first couple years as a baby. He looks fine. Beak's SLIGHTLY overgrown, but otherwise he's good.

Reactions: Ink

Bébert81

Toulouse, France
This is a Testudo hermannii ssp with a shell distortion due to a bad maintain.
This is not a Testudo marginata for sure.
To determine the ssp a picture of the belly is mandatory but it is quite the same maintain at the end.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is a Testudo hermannii ssp with a shell distortion due to a bad maintain.
This is not a Testudo marginata for sure.
To determine the ssp a picture of the belly is mandatory but it is quite the same maintain at the end.
OK, can we have some further comments and a unanimous conclusion with this - is it one or the other?