Wasn’t exactly sure where to post this

SasquatchTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Forth Worth, Texas
I’ve been looking for a large plant for our greenhouse for a while, mostly for shade for other plants. Bamboo (Bambusa multiplex) seems like a good option since it it grows relatively fast and is safe for tortoises (ours stays in the greenhouse in winter). I cannot find, however, if it can grow in year-round warmth or needs a winter. Anyone have experience with this plant? Thanks. (note: our soil has quite a bit of clay).

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I am partial to the Common Hibiscus or Rose of Sharon. Bushes get about 8'-9' and about 5'-6' wide. Of course all leaves and flowers of the Common Hibiscus are tortoise friendly. As far as the bamboo the reviews say it is a fast grower up to almost 25' and it grows in clumps.1647248146108.png

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Bambusa multiplex will grow well down to zone 8a in the southern US. I am using it to create barriers in my yard here in South Carolina. I suspect it will be fine through greenhouse winters as parts of it’s native range never freeze. I can’t really imagine it being a good greenhouse plant unless you have an enormous greenhouse.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Do you want the plant to remain growing inside ur greenhouse? If so, take a look at growing some banana trees. They come in all shapes, sizes & heights. Also as mentioned above, Rose of Sharon/Hibiscus can be grown successfully inside a greenhouse.

Both plants are tort friendly - I grow both & feed both to our Sully. Unfortunately, no greenhouse so my banana tree is dormant in the garage now. Hibiscus is growing in the sunroom.