water bowl

Maisy

i was just wondering at the moment i have a water bowl in my horse fiend tortoises enclosure but i have read on a few websites this is wrong as it creates moisture in the cage, i don't know wether to get rid of it or not? my tortoise never seems to use it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Maisy,
Maybe if you post a picture of your tortoise cage with bowl and tortoise the experts here can advise if it's a suitable type of bowl for him.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
A picture would be nice :D
Terra cotta plant saucers work very well and are cheap+easy to find. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
As said, a shallow terracotta saucer is best.
Make sure it is sunken into the substrate.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Could be a bit hard for him to get in and out of to self soak and drink - bit hard to tell without seeing size of tort, but the last thing you want is for him to get stuck and drown in it. As already said by Tom, Tidgy's Dad and Yellow Turtle01 - shallow terracotta plant saucers are cheap and easy for tortoises to use if sunk into the substrate. I'm sure they and some other experienced keepers will be along soon to give their opinions on the water bowl and substrate you are using but meanwhile read the threads Tom has given they will really help you provide the best for your tort.

Maisy

ok will look into getting one of those saucers thank you all this is so helpfull

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That's great Maisy it will probably be easier for him. I never actually see mine drinking but I can tell hat he's been in the water because of he substrate he leaves in it.

This is a great place to find answers! I am a novice myself but have found it invaluable and learnt so much from people with years of experience. You may not always like some of the things you are told but what you have to remember is that it is only constructive criticism and everyone here is only interested in keeping torts healthy and happy. So don't be afraid to ask questions - it could save you money on equipment and vets bills in the long run.

I expect there'll be more members offering help soon so look out for alerts.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Lyn is quite right, as usual,( she's from Wales, which is good), shallow, terracotta saucer, big enough to soak in, but shallow enough not to drown, sunk into the substrate.
You should soak her yourself once a day when she is a baby for twenty minutes or so and twice a week or so when she gets older, to keep her skin soft and moist.
I see cucumber in that picture. This is ok, but only as a treat or to get water into the tortoise, broad leaved greens should be the main diet- see the care sheet.
Also your substrate looks very dry. What is it and are you keeping it moist?
Humidity is essential for a tortoise, especially when young.
Hope this helps and please keep asking.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you for the vote of confidence Adam - but I'm only just repeating what people far more knowledgeable than me say, so I'm just a parrot really - a Welsh one though. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you for the vote of confidence Adam - but I'm only just repeating what people far more knowledgeable than me say, so I'm just a parrot really - a Welsh one though. :)
Well, I'm half Welsh, so that makes one and a half Welsh parrots.

Maisy

ok thank you the bedding is bark wood chippings but i am buying some coconut coir to put in instead,