Water conditioners and ph levels

flyingpenguin

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Is API water conditioner like I use in my fish tank safe for using in a turtle tank? Or do I need to get something like Reptisafe? And should API Sludge Destroyer be used in a new tank setup?
And what is the appropriate ph levels for a Mississippi map turtle? I thought I saw somewhere between 7.0-7.8 but don't know where so I wanted to double check.
Thanks!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I don't use water conditioner for tanks with turtles only. I do most often keep fish (mosquito fish and plecostomas) in with turtles so then I would if a total water change. The API would be good in that case. Turtles are not affected by the amounts of chlorine or chloramine in tap water.

You do want to get the tank established and proper biological filtration working. The chlorine/chloramine will inhibit bacteria growth, so slow down the good bacteria development.

Mississippi maps, and most all N American turtles do well in water neutral to slightly alkaline. The Mississippi River itself has a PH around 8.0.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don't use water conditioner for tanks with turtles only. I do most often keep fish (mosquito fish and plecostomas) in with turtles so then I would if a total water change. The API would be good in that case. Turtles are not affected by the amounts of chlorine or chloramine in tap water.

You do want to get the tank established and proper biological filtration working. The chlorine/chloramine will inhibit bacteria growth, so slow down the good bacteria development.

Mississippi maps, and most all N American turtles do well in water neutral to slightly alkaline. The Mississippi River itself has a PH around 8.0.
Oh, WOW! I never knew the Mississippi is slightly alkaline! And i LIVE down here outside New Orleans!:eek: Learn something new every day! :)

Lyndi

Darwen, Lancashire

So why do so many turtle keepers advise putting de-chlorinator in water before putting it in the tank? Is it mainly to keep the BB happy, then, if turtles don't mind chlorine? Apologies if this seems a gormless question!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You don't need water conditioner for turtles. I've never used it. Just water from the tap.

Lyndi

Darwen, Lancashire
You don't need water conditioner for turtles. I've never used it. Just water from the tap.
Great. I wish I'd read this *before* ordering some literally just the other day! So much conflicting advice out there! My turtles never seem to be bothered by water straight from the tap but after listening to what most other people say with regards to this, and having only been looking after turtles since February, I thought I'd better be safe than sorry.